Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Unlicensed tradie experiences

Page 1 of 1
Hi Homeoners

I am looking for anyone who has recently had the misfortune to deal with an unlicensed tradie/builder, specifically in Sydney area. I am researching the issue of licensing specifically:

How likely people are to ask for a trade licence
How likely people are to use an unlicensed tradie & for what reasons (price?)

Any insights welcome.

Regards.
I think that it is worth noting here that many licensed tradies also do work that they are not qualified for. For example, most licensed plumbers are not qualified to do all categories of plumbing work but how is the consumer to know this?

Plumbers also do uncategorised work for which there is no training available but legislation permits this. This often results in consumers often ending up with sub standard overpriced installations with little or no recourse for the consumer due to poorly written or non existent regulations.

It is also difficult for consumers to know where they can seek information about a person's licensing and their qualifications within the trade. This would make for a good sticky or article on Homeone.
Always ask to view there license or contractors authority
same size as a drivers license
issued by department of fairtrading nsw
it shows there license number
name and address
and expiry date
thanks jim roundbathcompany

any legitimate trades person would always have it with them
Related
7/03/2024
Tradie charges to fix his mistake

Renovation + Home Improvement

Unless there were unforeseeable issues with the site, I dont think you should have to pay for contractors errors or poor planning. I'd probably try and be reasonable and…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum