Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Land Fall - Send help!

Page 1 of 1
In real need of some guidance as regards land fall, I have spoken to some high profile volume builders, about building on my land and have gotten "no volume builder will pick this up" and "$10k per metre fall, and it looks like you have 5m". Unless fall is calculated from sea level this is just wrong. the land though on a hill, has a retaining wall and the building surface is relatively flat. Can anyone more knowledgeable than myself take a look at this or explain where the mystery 5 metres is coming from? At this point that's a crazy amount and I'll be designing the home myself and going with an indy builder, I just want to understand what they're on about.

thanks!

They are going by the finished surface levels. The fall goes from the rear right corner to the front left, there is approx 5m diffference between the two figures. Usually a builder would send someone to have a look at it eg construction manager etc....to assess the viability of building on it.
Thanks, but are we sure that's not cms? 5cms I could believe, but there's just no way there's five metres drop. Seriously, the land is pretty bloody flat. I feel like I'm in crazy town.
Is the land titled ? Have you got a photo of the block ? I haven't come across figures that high either.

But usually that measurement is in meters which is why the builders you have spoken to are giving you the same answer.
can you post up a picture.

Run a level string line from the back fence to the front and difference will be your fall.
Ok here's some pics, the land hasnt been titled yet. Its crown land and as with all govt things, it takes longer to do anything.

(Excuse the mum & the dog, there's guys working on it at the moment otherwise I'd get a better pic, but I think you can see there's just no way its a 5m fall)

Thanks for your help
The land is seriously not flat, there is defiantly a fall from the back right to the front left.
It’s obvious when looking at the top of the front retaining wall. Take the top of the wall as being 0 and anything above it is your fall.

Hard to tell from the photo but looks over 2 mtr fall.
Now the builder needs to determine the building area what the likely fall will be.

The building area might have less of a fall.

By the way very nice block. If landscaped correctly it will look magnificent
I know its not flat, but Its certainly not 5m, and I think 2m is an overstatement, the photos could be better but I took these for posterity really as opposed to demonstration. I will get better pics once the tradies scarper this arvo, meeting with an indy builder who knows the area later today, hopefully he'll have more info for me. It was just a rude shock to think this could add $50k to my build, I'm doing this by myself so, its felt like a big set back.
also, already bringing up some yuccas for the front, it'll be a beauty.
Won’t be $50k to move dirt. Operators charge $80 per hour and $80 to dump a 10 cubic meter load.
Removing soil isn’t the expensive part, the rock removal, peiring, edge beams and additional concrete required to build the foundation is where the money gets spent. Plus factor in retaining walls if needed.

Without a soil test the price will be hard to determine.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.
Yep - slope is seriously deceiving.
I wouldn't be surprised at all for that to be 5m on a site survey.
This is my site - also 5m fall.

You just need to think about the design a little bit more and go with a split level design. Whilst it will add a retaining wall through the house and an extra set of steps - making the house follow the slope of the land will lead to a better design outcome.
Hope this helps.
Travis
Related
2/10/2023
Fall in Shower Floor

Bathrooms and Laundry

Thank you Splashers. Tomorrow I might check if I can get a few packs of 300x300 in the same tile finish. It may be good to use these could in the shower recesses. I'm not…

11/11/2023
Slab fall away

Landscape & Garden Design

I've got a challenge here. Background is the builder has cut too deep for the slab and the slab is now below the very substantial retaining wall. It's failed occupancy…

23/04/2024
Tiling a Balcony with Fall Away from House

General Discussion

AS4654.2-2012 External Membranes it is "Informative" but if you get water ingress your insurance assessor will go to this straight away and if not achieved, they will deny…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum