Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Tip - how to remove tile adhesive

Page 1 of 1
I hope this might help someone. I layed porcelain 60x60 tiles on my verandah using 2mm spacers about 6 months ago. There was a lot of places where the tile adhesive had filled the space between the tiles and it was super hard. I wet the verandah and left it for 30mins and then used a hacksaw blade in a horizontal position to remove the adhesive gaps. As I worked line by line I sprayed water along the gap to remove what I had dislodged. It was not a quick job but I'm happy to report it's done thanks to the hacksaw blade.
another

did you have the grout cement in between your tiles as well ?
downtime
another

did you have the grout cement in between your tiles as well ?

No just tile adhesive. I needed to remove it to prepare the tiles for grouting.
I might add that I held the hacksaw blade at each end with thumb and forefinger. This reduced the chance of scratching the tile edges and gave a more even depth.
I think a better tip would be to clean out the gaps when laying as I couldnt think of a more laborious job once the adhesive set.

I always use a pointed kebab stick and wet sponge
Uncle Arfur
I think a better tip would be to clean out the gaps when laying as I couldnt think of a more laborious job once the adhesive set.

I always use a pointed kebab stick and wet sponge

Absolutely. Nb. my post in no way condones the putting off of necessary tasks!
If you can re wet the tile adhesive, what would that mean for the longevity of the service life of the tile adhesive? Also the is a tool called a grout rake... But ten points for ingenuity.
Related
18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

23/02/2024
Smooth out / remove slate tile fireplace

Renovation + Home Improvement

I would probably render it and then paint it as per your other advice, or gyrpock over the top.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum