Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

anyone includes structured pre-wiring on your new home?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
Currently I am at the early stage of bulding my first home in SE of Melbourne. Does anyone who are currently building includes structured prewiring on your house?
see this one: www.cleverhome.com.au
I am thinking to put it into my new home, but not sure about the cost, any help is appreciated, thanks.
Hi Connexion.

At last a question I can really answer, and actually know something about.

I had a look at this product, for about 30 seconds and decided that it was not for me. I am into gadgets, and am having a home cinema etc but there are a number of things you really need to think about when looking at this, and any other extra for a new house. I am also a network engineer, so I know a little about it.

You really need to look at what you are going to use it for. Will running a Wireless ADSL router, with 4 cabled ports do what you want? Will your builder let you prewire the house yourself? What do you want it for?? What does all this mean?

Will you electronically water your plants??

Here is my situation

My builder will not let me prewire, but they allowed me to pre drill and rope for easy installation for network access in several rooms, and behind the fridge (internet fridges are getting cheaper).

My Patch panel, is where they all come together, is in the cupboard in my study. My Wireless ADSL router, which has 4 cable ports, (also in the cupboard) gives me a very obscenely fast connection to the Internet (thankyou work), but it also give me the ability to run movies from my home PC, onto a soon to be purchased XBOX2 with a network port in it, connected to a projector.

If I want to change ports, I simply unplug one of the patches from the patch panel, , and then plug it into the port I need. I will also point out that it can also be used for moving telephone points if wired correctly. Given the fact that wireless is cheap these days, do you need points in each room? I have only put in four, where I need 100mb connection speed (Generally, wireless does up to 10mb, but is not real good for cinemas).

What the hell is this guy crapping on about I hear you say? Well this is the good part.

A 300-metre box of Cat5e cable is about $100-120. Data port faceplates are about $8-$10 each. The patch panels about $50ish (not 100% sure, got mine for free). Then all you need is a Krone tool, a pair of cutters, and some cable nails to hold it in place. Say hello to your favourite Middy’s store (In Vic), they can help you. A cable tester from **** Smith will cost you $25 or less.

My total cost will be under $300.

You can also buy from **** Smith a 2.4gighz transceiver unit, whereby you can broadcast from say Foxtel, to another room, and still use the remote control. These are now under $100.

I don’t need to electronically water the plans, dim the light etc etc, so what I described is simple, but works well, and anyone can do it. Also remember that if you want to water the plants, you need the interface to the water connection. For your heating, the heating unit must be controllable by the system. To open and shut gates, you need the locking mechanism that work with the systems. They all need to work on a network, and will, like all good things, be extra.

All I can say is do you really need what the product has to offer, and will you REALLY utilise ALMOST ALL the benefits for what a lot of money will buy.

Just my two cents worth, does anyone have change??

Any questions, send me a PM.

Adrian B
Well written Adrian.

CBUS, etc. are fun to play with, but they are often a little too complex for your average Joe. On the other hand, it all comes down to the programming. It's quite handy to flick one switch and go from 'daytime' lighting to 'mood' lighting to 'food preparation' lighting.

I like single point-of-operation switchboards, using traditional power supply. They are reliable, and with the trend to open plan living, much more practical. Plus, they look absolutely schmik in stainless.

Regards,

Andrew
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your suggestions. That is what I wanted, just to have a couple of network cable around the house to link up a few computer and a cinema. will PM you soon. Cheers,
connexion, check yr mail

Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum