Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

URBAN MYTHS .... ?

Page 1 of 20
Not sure this is the right spot, but ...
I'll kick it off:

1. The pool that pops out of the ground - usually promoted by people who sell cement pools. Has anyone themselves actually experienced a full fibre glass pool popping out of the ground in their back yard ? Pics and links please ?

2. Waffle pod slabs vis a vis full cement. Has anyone themselves actually experienced a jack going throught the pod - in the garage or anywhere else. I'm not interested in friends of friends ?
Can someone please correct my abysmal spelling in the title please ...
3. Has anyone got pics of their house suffering from broken tiles from hail stones.

I'm not talking 100 year storms here.
Saint Mike

Done.
homeone
Saint Mike

Done.

My spelling is not a myth ...
good thread, i like it
Thanks. I love UM's. I remember the one with the woman, the thief, the handbag and the dead cat/dog etc.
Don't know about pools but about 25 years ago I saw a underground fuel tank come out of the ground at Manchester Airport.

Sorry no Photos
bashworth
Don't know about pools but about 25 years ago I saw a underground fuel tank come out of the ground at Manchester Airport.

Sorry no Photos

Sorry - no prize then
Was it full of fuel or empty ?
like to hear more urban myths
Saint Mike
bashworth

Sorry no Photos

Sorry - no prize then

Empty, being back filled and inadequately tied down to a base slab.
bashworth
Saint Mike
bashworth

Sorry no Photos

Sorry - no prize then

Empty, being back filled and inadequately tied down to a base slab.

Was it underground - ie covered - BW ? Must have looked like a Sub surfacing ... ?

I believe cement and FG pools can both move if they are empty. FG can rise, and cement an rise and/or crack.
I assume you're talking housing related urban myths, not cool stuff like "Heat created during space-shuttle re-entry is caused by friction" (It's not - it's caused by massive air-pressure in front of the falling object.) or "Adding oil to cooking pasta helps to stop it from sticking" (Uh, no, oil floats on water and is insoluable, so when boiled will very readily come to the top) or that Sushi means "raw fish" (again, no - it means sour/vinegared rice)?

I can go on for weeks with this kind of stuff

I'll try to think of some housing related ones.
akashra
I assume you're talking housing related urban myths, not cool stuff like "Heat created during space-shuttle re-entry is caused by friction" (It's not - it's caused by massive air-pressure in front of the falling object.) or "Adding oil to cooking pasta helps to stop it from sticking" (Uh, no, oil floats on water and is insoluable, so when boiled will very readily come to the top) or that Sushi means "raw fish" (again, no - it means sour/vinegared rice)?

I can go on for weeks with this kind of stuff

I'll try to think of some housing related ones.

Houses first ....

But I love any ...
I've seen a few more I thought I might add:

The Evap Cooler vs the Reverse Cyle - how Evap Cooling matches real air conditioning. Evap works where temps generally stay lower.

Tiles vs Colour Bond - how colour bond is somehow better and more environmentally correct - when it is really just a personal choice. It's funny, I've seen an advert somewhere where tiles were an extra - ie costing more. I quite like the individuality of tiles today rather than the common, rather bland CB roof.
Saint Mike

The Evap Cooler vs the Reverse Cyle - how Evap Cooling matches real air conditioning. Evap works where temps generally stay lower.

Actually, evap works where HUMIDITY is lower. Big difference. In the right climate, it's the ideal choice.

Not really an urban myth, more a failure by many people to understand the difference between a 35º day in Brisbane and a 35º day in Melbourne. (Clue: One's hideous, the other is freaking awesome.
)
kek
Saint Mike

Actually, evap works where HUMIDITY is lower. Big difference. In the right climate, it's the ideal choice.

Not really an urban myth, more a failure by many people to understand the difference between a 35º day in Brisbane and a 35º day in Melbourne. (Clue: One's hideous, the other is freaking awesome.
)

Very true ! Weather's ain't weathers !
Bottles (full of water) on front lawn/gardens deter dogs ?

I don't agree - anyone had experience here ?
Saint Mike
Bottles (full of water) on front lawn/gardens deter dogs ?

I don't agree - anyone had experience here ?

A friend tried it on her newly laid grass.. Destroyed completely from pee stains and the dogs thought it would be fun to run around with the bottles....
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum