Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

built in Fish tank

Page 1 of 1
just wondering if anyone has put an inbuilt fishtank in there new homes??

we have pet turtles (my babies) and i would love to get a huge tank (something like 6ftx2ftx2ft) for them as they grow - and i would lvoe to have it built in to the wall - so im wondering have you done this - did you include drainage and water inlet in the space (im thinking a hidden room for it all to hide in ( and somewhere to store the xmas tree for 10-11 mths of the year! lol) - but im also thinking of how annoying it is to try and fill the current 4ft narrow tank and drain it ... so having a tap and drain would save our back carting water out and save running to hose thru the house to fill it.

so if you have done this - can you please post me some piccys, some tips, and anything else you can think of
Hi there

I can't offer any tips in relation to built in fish tanks but I remember seeing a home building blog with Wisdom homes.....as we are building with Wisdom, I was looking at all their blogs when we started out on our home build process last year and I remember seeing a built in fish tank.

Here is the link to the blog, just checked it and the photo's are still there. I must say it looks great!! Might not answer your question requesting tips, but thought you might like to see the photo's.

http://building.cielly.com/
Google -Built in fish tank. Some amazing photos.
Hi,
The general method for making an in wall tank is to put an 'window' style opening through the wall, have the cabinet on the other side and run an architrave around it like this one. That way you're putting the tank itself in a laundry or dedicated wet room, with drainage and plumbing, etc. which should minimise the risk of overflows/weird plumbing issues.

You're best of asking a dedicated fish forum (such as rtaw) as they will have plenty of members doing similar things.

I'm currently putting in a similar sized tank in for my reef, but I'm not going in wall, because I want some extra flexibility. I do have a wet area and dedicated plumbing though
Where abouts are you from?

There are quite a few Aquariums that will be able to install it for you.

I love the idea but the maintenance of it haunts me.
i want one so bad, but the wife says no WAY!

she is a vet nurse and they have one at owrk it's a nightmare to keep clean all the time unless your an enthusiast
Related
12/05/2023
Outdoor fish tank

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for letting us know. The programmer will have a look at this later today.

23/05/2023
Rainwater Tank not filling

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

But if it is a ground level open pit, then it is not a charged system. No surprises there. The pipes have obviously been altered and there would be a reason for this.…

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum