Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

New fence etiquette

Page 1 of 1
Hi All
Just wondering what the etiquette is with a situation like this
My neighbors have installed a cream colored colorbond fence on 2 of their boundaries. The only boundary left is our common one. There is no way in hell we will want the same color. The color doesn't even go with their external paint colors but yeah, that's a different story.

So what happens when it comes push to shove if they will only want that color and we prefer a neutral gray one?
Obviously we will talk, (so far the only talked to my builder who talks to me), but in the end if one side ones color A and one side wants color B only what happens?

cheers

edit: oops in wrong forum, was supposed to be in general discussion
sorry, can a mod move it?
Stripes (sorry)
I don't see why it would be a problem to paint one side one colour and the other another colour?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what most people would do?
That however is not standard colourbond. Who is going to pay the extra?
See if you can use roofing Colorbond. Grey on one side and coloured on the other.

Ed
I agree with Ed..
Quote:
See if you can use roofing Colorbond. Grey on one side and coloured on the other.

Wooden fence looking at about a 10 year life. colorbond 15+. something else to think about.
Agree to share the cost of putting the fence up and painting one side an alternative colour. Problem solved
Or if the quote for just the fence is $3,000 then you and your neighbour can bid for who pays the right to choose the colour of the fence. The other person then paints if they want to.

So you can bid $2,000 for the fence, the neighbour pays $1,000 but then the neighbour has to pay to paint the fence or do him/herself.
free will
Agree to share the cost of putting the fence up and painting one side an alternative colour

I agree with this. The extra cost is the price of both of you getting what you want. If you can't agree amoungst yourselves then a court will decide, and chances are noone will be happy with the outcome
Ok its very very more complicated then I thought.
3 houses in a row-
A,B,C. (There is a house on top of B.)
I am C.
A has fenced around his house. B was not fussed with this, happy to continue with this color, but people above B, and us are not happy with it. So person above B has decided on a color he likes, we are not happy with this, but he can agree to a color we like (very neutral).
So we can all use this color, but then the B will have a different left side fence from his behind and right. A will not chip in 1/2 to paint, cause he said B was happy to go ahead with his color.

B has asked me to chip in half for painting his fence that is common to him and A. (We are C)
I am ok with this, as we need to compromise, but wife is being a fence-zilla and saying no way. Apparently I am to easy and always being taken for a ride.
So A has a whole fence up around his place that at the time all parties agreed to and now because there has been a change of mind you guys want him to pay to paint it?
No
Only house B agreed to it, we did not even know until it was up. Not sure if people behind B knew about it.
But do you or the house above B have a common boundary with A - if not, I cant see why they would even think of paying to paint a different colour. The colour chosen by A on his border with B has nothing to do with yourself or the house behind B if you do not have a border with A. Its a bit like saying you don't like the plants in their garden..

Obviously, I realise this causes a problem because now B wants to complete his fence in the same colour. If you and the person behind B want all the fences in the same colour, you and the person behind B are going to have to come up the repainting dollars - seems only fair to me as a neutral observer. Or use different colours on different sides of the fence.
Maybe just accept the colour. These people are your neighbours and the right decision might set the scene for a wonderful neighbour - or ....

I believe fences are one of the biggest issues with neighbours and can cause long term ill-will.

Maybe go to the neighbour and explain your position - and ask him/her to help with an answer. People love to help. This person could turn out to be one of the best friends you might ever have ...
i was happy to pay for 1/2 the painting
the wife was being a fence-zilla
happy wife happy life...
all sorted fence guy managed to convince him to change his mind!
That's great.
Related
5/04/2024
Fence boundary - New Lot

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone, My lot has just been titled and during the settlement we found that the rear pegs were not visible. We requested for a re-establishment and pegging plan…

10/04/2024
New Fence - Boundary

Building A New House

Hi, It’s important to keep in mind that dividing fences have thickness, so it’s impracticable to expect them to be wholly constructed within the neighbouring…

22/05/2023
How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Outdoor Living

Yes i guess this is one of the main reason as i checked one post foundation

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum