Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Help!!! Door frame crack? what to do???

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys!

Next week is PCI we already complained to the SS about our front door frame it has a big cracked on the top. They told us that they are going to observe it first. we already sent them the photos and we want them to fix it after the PCI. we decided that we are not going to sign the handover if they don't fix it....

And also can someone give me some links on the Guide on standards and tolerance in WA? can't find on the web.

Thanks!!
http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/re ... IDE_07.pdf

I would push the point about that particular issue plus any more. You do not have to accept a house that you feel is up to standard, no matter how much they push. If you do not feel that you are being heard, get yourself a building inspector to support your claims.
Thanks Adam, I already checked that linked before but is it applicable on WA? coz it says there that its applicable only in vic, nsw, tas and act.
It should apply to WA considering the standards and tolerances publication takes references from a raft of Australian standards. Albeit it does reference each states Buildings Acts, Building Regulations and other Acts which don't particularly talk about specific defects.

Could you provide a picture of the crack so that someone or I could provide you a better reference?
ok tnx. but I dont know how to upload pictures here
this is the picture from the top of the double door. it has crack on the middle

in our contract it says that "relevance to SA codes" do you have any idea what does that code means? i dont have any idea about the codes here in wa. thanks
this is after they paint it last week... you can see the crack on the normal viewing position. and also there's a paint little paint run on the door. we're so dissapointed about the painting on the doors. we havent said anything about the paintings, we'll tell them on PCI nxt friday...

Hire a private building inspector. We did. we did not have crack in our door but had so many other issues that we did not even know and the inspector picked them up.
The rule of thumb is that if you can see a blemish, defect, or anything that does not seem right from 1.5mtrs away under normal lighting (is not picked up if you look across the surface at low angle) you have a right to complain.

So for example if they patched up a paint blemish and when you look at it directly from 1.5mtrs away then that is acceptable. If you happen to looking along the face of the wall and some light picks up the blemish, then you don't have a leg to stand on.

In this case, the crack is more than visible, you are in your right to refuse PCI.

In the case of SA standards, are you sure it's not AS - Australian Standards or if it is AS - Standards Australia.
From your last photo it looks like its only the top architrave thats cracked and nothing structural. I would be more worried about the mess they could do replacing and patch painting it
Thanks! they told us that its not structural and the lentil are ok we don't need to worry about it...
macoi11
the lentil are ok ...

I take it you mean lintel or load bearing beam instead of what you eat
lol sorry about that... typo error
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

10/03/2024
Cladding crack

General Discussion

Most likely poor foam installation and render installation, Joint covered with render, foam could be sitting on flashing. Do you have any render at house

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum