Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Rough idea of earthworks costs?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Just curios of how much it would cost to do the earthworks for a block of land to level out for building.. Please excuse the newb question, but the block I'm looking at is around 5000m2 so roughly 50 wide by 100 deep.

The first 50 odd meters is gradually slopping up, maybe 2 meters from the road level, and the second half of the block is reasonably level.

My question is relating to a basement, how much 'roughly' would it cost to dig out say, 2 meters deep by the amount of the floorlan? I only as because I've heard to get some bobcat work or backo work done your up for 1000's... Would the basement idea cost something crazy like 50k? 70? Or, like anything... Hard to tell without a quote?

Thanks!
Fortunately I misread, and originally read this as you wanting to remove dirt right across the block to level it to the base level. Uhm... I'm not sure you really want to hear the answer to that one. It's definitely "something crazy"... but it's definitely not 50k.
Let me give you a hint:
If it's a 2 meter slope over the first 50 meters, we can average that out and say it's 1 meter deep for those first 50 meters, then 2 meters deep for the next 50 meters.
So you have 2500 cubes of dirt to move from the front 50, and 5,000 cubes to move from the rear 50m. You're talking 7,500m^3 of dirt. I don't know of a nice metric to compare this to, so I'll just say that it's a metric s-ton of dirt.

Now I'm going to give you a *very* conservative estimate of soil removal and excavation costs:
$65 per cubic meter.

I'm going to let you multiply that by the amount you claim to need to remove.

Fortunately... you only really need to level out the slab area. Phew.

What we really need to know is the profile of the land where the slab is going to sit. ie, are you going to set the house on the forward part of the land where it's sloping, or the flat part, where you don't need to move much dirt?
More likely, you're looking at about 300m^2 that needs flattening.

To level that is a bit of a unknown without looking at a siting.
Related
20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

28/04/2023
Perth - Class S Soil - 83K Site Costs???!

Building A New House

I am not sure whether Perth has its own way of doing things in regards to this. Most of Perth has class A (sandy soil), except for some areas near rivers or hills.

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum