Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Beam cross section to span this distance?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

First post here, so "Hi Everyone!"

I'm planning out the design for a veranda that needs to start under our first floor deck. The design is sort of tricky because there are some challenges with gum tree leaves and an old shed that get in the way - but suffice to say, a mate of mine that is an architect had some fantastic ideas - so I'm going to try them implement one step at a time.

First thing I need to do is span some new wooden rafters about 3.5 metres between existing extremely heavy gauge metal joists that are running the entire length of our house between the ground and first floor - the joists protrude from the back of the house and upon them is constructed the first floor balcony. Bottom line is that these metal joists are very solid.

From these new rafters, I'll string batons and then suspend the colourbond roofing - held from the top rather than the bottom. A slight slope on the colourbond will allow for the small amount of drainage necessary.

Although I'm pretty handy, I've never actually constructed anything original onto a house before - although I did replace a pergola once with an identical one.

I've been looking around for standard tables that tell me what cross section of wood by wood type I need in order to span 3.5 metres, and I'm a bit confused.

Can someone pls point me in the right direction to tackle the first challenge of fronting up to a timberyard and knowing what cross section and wood type I need to order so that it can securely span 3.5 metres and hold a roof up without sagging.

I figure that there will be 3 rafters running between each joist - i.e. each rafter will be less than 1 metre apart - like the little drawing below

...1m....1m

JJJJJJJJJJJJJ
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R 3.5m
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
JJJJJJJJJJJJJ
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R 3.5m
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
R.....R.....R
JJJJJJJJJJJJJ
Can you get your mate to tell you what you need?
I used these tables for my deck and pergola

http://www.tabma.com.au/resources.php
I bought a book - the Australian Decks & Pergola book by Alan Staines, from Bunnings for $22ish, has span tables and instructions in there
Excellent guys - this sort of info is exactly what I needed. I wont get the book, as its not a deck or pergola I'm building, but that "Seasoned Softwood Pergola Span Tables" looks precisely the sort of info I'm looking for.

I'd say that 140×45 should do easily support the small load that will be on it.
Did your mate tell you that you require a building permit?
Related
8/04/2024
Is this too low vs Cross Over/Street Level?

Building A New House

Thanks! I'm spoke to the builder I'm not sure if this is all true but basically went along the lines of they considered all options and if I was to compact and fill it…

5/02/2024
Decking & Span Table

Outdoor Living

Hi, Really struggling to find some consistency amongst Span Tables, can anyone help…

21/01/2024
Ceiling insulation batts distance

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Found the answer. The recommended distance is ....

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum