Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

water meter needs to be raised ??

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

got a question....

when we bought the block of land the water main was in a very strange position. Since the house has been built the water main was below the actual slab. Our block slopes down a Little towards the street (corner block)

Now they had connected the lines to the water main and im waiting on someone to come and connect the meter, problem is the water main and pipes are so low that i need the raised finished ground level... we are putting in a retaining wall on that street side so once we fill its gonna cover the water meter.

Whos job is it to raise the water meter , the builder , sydney water??
I suspect that it is yours (via Sydney water). The water company is only required to install the mains connection/outlet based upon ground levels at the time of installation.

If the land owner (during the process of building) causes those ground levels to change - as would be the case when building up the ground level behind a retaining wall - then it is their responsibility to make any required changes to the water infrastructure (ie. you will more than likely be paying for Sydney water to come fix things up for you).

This unfortunately is the price you pay for an elevated position and it is not really all that different to situations where the water supplier plonks the outlet smack bang in the middle of where your path to the street is supposed to go - the customer has to pay to have the tap/meter moved.

You'll also want to be careful when the landscapers (or you) go to install the retaining wall - nothing will ruin your day like accidentally puncturing or cracking/crushing (your connection to) a water main.
Rather than raise it, get a pit and lid that covers it.

I'm pretty sure Just_Erin has one at their place and its an effective alternative. I'm looking at the same thing since I get pretty close to the meter to swing out of the garage on to our driveway.
Our meter is under our driveway. I believe It is an electrical meter, that the meter reader needs a particular piece of equipment to "wave" over our meter to get a reading. Would that be an option?
where can i purchase the pit and lid??
It's called a "Fitzroy Box" and I think most plumbing supplies should be able to get one for you.

HD
http://www.galvinengineering.com.au/Cas ... vers_.aspx

These guys make a few different ones.

I'm sure there are a few others that make them.

Also FWIW I Googled "Fitzroy Box" and got nothing to do with meter covers
hrmm i will look into it....

might have to ask some local plumbers
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

2/05/2023
gas line re-purposed to water main?

Building A New House

thanks Simeon appreciate your input.

20/05/2023
Frame without roof for 2 months, mould and water pooling

Building A New House

This certainly doesn't look good. I would be engaging with an independent inspector to have a look at this. As for the unscheduled site visits, most builders are quite…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum