Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Technika Oven Exploded

Page 3 of 3
Well that's just made my mind up! I am definitely going to change from a Technika. I was already wary. I really want a Westinghouse; of course, this isn't an option with Carlisle Homes. I think I will have to buy it myself; all I have to do is get a credit back for the Technika oven.... fingers crossed, they haven't been overly forthcoming with doing this type of thing!! If I can get the credit I might try to get the Westinghouse during the Christmas/Boxing Day sales.
This also happened to me last week. The oven door exploded with thousands of tiny splinters of glass spreading throughout my kitchen, hallway and a bedroom opposite my kitchen - the splinters of glass are so tiny I'm likely to be finding them for years to come. I had just cooked a cake and had turned the oven off 5-10 minutes prior, then BOOM! Thank god neither of my children were in the kitchen at the time, I can't begin to imagine what all that glass would have done to them. Sooo I ring Technika and the short version is that they are NOT replacing the glass in the door, (there wasn't even an apology!!!) and not only can I not buy one the same (as that particular model is discontinued evidently) but the "white" one they've offered me, when the rest of the oven is stainless is over $240.00 - for the single piece of glass which is probably likely to explode again. There were definitely no hairline cracks in it either. Will never ever touch anything Technika again! I've had SMEG appliances for over 20 years and they have never missed a beat, fabulous and still work like the day I bought them. This Tecknika appliance was already installed (unfortunately) in a property which I bought 2 years ago. So absolutely disgusted.
Oh my goodness! That was really scary. I'm glad we upgraded our oven in to Smeg, it costs us more but my husband said they are more durable than Technika, I'm glad I listened to him.
Ginaguevarra1965
Oh my goodness! That was really scary. I'm glad we upgraded our oven in to Smeg, it costs us more but my husband said they are more durable than Technika, I'm glad I listened to him.

For the moment anyway, until they too try to cut costs like Technika did.......
oh wow that's so scary, I can't believe they haven't been recalled yet
How scary I've heard of exploding fridges but not ovens
Wow we have just had a new technika put in the rental we are in as the old simpson turned itself on and caught on fire!!
Geez exploding and burning ovens - appliances aren't meant to do that are they
There was another thread about ovens somewhere on this forum and one of the guys who chimed in was an ex appliance repairman who said that of all the ovens and stoves Technika were the ones that had to be serviced the most and had the most complaints about.

Stewie
oze
Several nights ago our Technika Bellissimo oven was cooling down after baking a cake. 5 mins after taking the cake out I left the kitchen and then BOOM. The bloody oven door exploded filling the kitchen and pantry with glass. Luckily no one was in front of it.

Technika are replacing the oven door but I'm definitely nervous about it happening again.

Since searching Google this is very common and happens with many many brands. First time I've ever heard of it.

Be careful!!!

Wow - we have one - and do a lot of cooking. I remember it happened with an oil heater we had once. I'd just been in front of it too.

Ours is now about 12 months old - and has been used for most things at all temps. Seems to do a good job.

Its not the best brand or dearest - but is big - we got the 900mm.

Were there any warning signs.
Saint Mike
oze
Several nights ago our Technika Bellissimo oven was cooling down after baking a cake. 5 mins after taking the cake out I left the kitchen and then BOOM. The bloody oven door exploded filling the kitchen and pantry with glass. Luckily no one was in front of it.

Technika are replacing the oven door but I'm definitely nervous about it happening again.

Since searching Google this is very common and happens with many many brands. First time I've ever heard of it.

Be careful!!!

Wow - we have one - and do a lot of cooking. I remember it happened with an oil heater we had once. I'd just been in front of it too.

Ours is now about 12 months old - and has been used for most things at all temps. Seems to do a good job.

Its not the best brand or dearest - but is big - we got the 900mm.

Were there any warning signs.

Interesting - I see this started about 4 years back so may be ok now.

But - we had an issue with our Microwave oven - top brand. The door kept fogging up and clouding. They replaced the door - then the unit.

We use these appliance and never think anything can happen. Good to know no-one was hurt.
Sorry for 3 posts ... but has this happened to anyone since - say - the beginning of 2013 - ie a stove built/installed since then ?

Especially the 900mm wall oven style ?

Or is it something that may happen to all ovens ?

------------------

Later:

Just checked ours - I see it has 2 "doors" really - or "sides". The inside glass - and then the outside. Must be empty between.

We've used it to around 220 - but it shows a higher reading than this.
Related
13/01/2024
Shower screen exploded

Bathrooms and Laundry

Your shower screen has failed in the way it is designed to fail with tempered glass. You could replace it with laminated safety glass but make sure it has AS standards logo on it

30/12/2023
Identification of Oven Make and Model

Kitchen Appliances

Hi Chippy, no there isn't, gave it a really good look through and literally opened everything and checked all edges as well. Hence the question, just hoping someone would…

25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum