Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Building Envelopes

Page 1 of 1
does anyone know where i can find out where the building envelope is on a block. [without haveing to pay lots of $$$$]
Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'building envelope'?
the area on which you can build - particularly with larger blocks. Ours is 10 acres, we know the envelope is 2500m2, but not exactly sure where abouts on the property that is allocated. Dont know whether we should be contacting shire or the land registry office????
GardenofNeedn-58
the area on which you can build - particularly with larger blocks. Ours is 10 acres, we know the envelope is 2500m2, but not exactly sure where abouts on the property that is allocated. Dont know whether we should be contacting shire or the land registry office????

You should be contacting the shire - it is their local area regulations (combined with standard rescode regulations) that will dictate the building envelope as much as anything else.
Building envelopes are lodged with the land title. In nsw you can get these from the land titles office and the council. they will also be on the development application. if you dont have an envelope you would just have to comply with the setbacks set by the LEP and relevant DCPs.
Which council ?
Building envelopes can mean different things to different councils.
Ours ( Warringah ) doesn't relate to the footprint like GardenofNeedn-58 says "the area on which you can build - particularly with larger blocks."
It is more to do with side setbacks and heights when looked at from the house in elevation - particularly from the front.
Your council may have a different interpretation of it and you should be able to find this out over the counter at the council or on their website.

Stewie
Stewie,
I do agree with you in that setbacks can create a pseudo building envelope particuarly in residential areas, however, for more recent rural and rural residential development, building envelopes have been lodged on the title of the land through an 88b instrument, usually put in place to minimise clearing (for dwellings and APZs) and to protect endangered species or their habitat or the like.
Ah well, there you go then.
Not having done any rural DAs for about ten years or so I wasn't sure if the OP was using the right terminology.
The councils used to call it something else I'm sure but I can't for the life of me recall what it was.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Stewie
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum