Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Carpenter question - how to convert furniture doors

Page 1 of 1
I need to know if I can convert the opening style of a cabinet doors from those that "retract"/open into the inside of the unit ---> to those that open normally, to the out.

It's one of those 2-leaf doors often seen in TV cabinets where you can keep the doors closed, but when you watch the TV, you have to open the doors and they sort of disappear internally along the sides of the cabinet.

I'd like to convert the cabinet into a shelving unit, and for that I need the doors to open to the outside.
Full timber material, painted (so no issue with removing fixings as it can be repainted).

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, yep it should be do able, after removing old doors and hardware you will likely have to install a 16 mm hinge style to match, each side. Then bore 35 mm holes for hinges. Install full overlay hinges and your done.
Thanks, Darren. Now, if only I knew what are the full overlay hinges

Is it something like this:

We have hinges that look similar (or the same??) to the above in our kitchen cabinets - are they actually the same ?
Quote:
We have hinges that look similar (or the same??) to the above in our kitchen cabinets - are they actually the same ?

These hinges come in different styles for different applications.

Bunnings have a small display of this type of hinge varieties.
So, would any of the BNGS ones be OK for my doors?
Quote:
So, would any of the BNGS ones be OK for my doors?

NO

Depending on how your doors are to be set up, you will see from Bunnings display which ones you need purchase
Related
2/07/2023
Ballpark figure to convert large WIL to small WC ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

consider putting in wall WC instead of robe in the same bedroom, then it might be doable to hook up to the existing piping.

14/05/2023
Sliding Doors

General Discussion

we have a standard size and often we have a lot of variety to choose

15/06/2023
Sliding doors

Windows & Doors

We are looking for sliding doors which are 5 metres tall. There are a few European options. Any manufacturers in Australia or distributors?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum