Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

What wall sheeting is that?

Page 1 of 1
G'day renovators.

I'm desperate to find out what sort of sheeting I have in my house.

It's a 1950s Melbourne house on posts.

I'll try and describe the (interior) walls in the hope that someone will be able to tell me what they're made of.

The walls are sheeted, with thin timber strips running vertically up the walls covering the joints of the sheets. The surface is not perfectly smooth like Gyprock; it's got an uneven surface like if you were to paint over...I don't know...heshan, bread. It's hard to describe, but it's got a slightly textured surface.

Also, it's soft. Kind of like the feeling of cork. You can press into it if you press pretty hard.

And lastly, when you sand it back past the outer coating, it's a lightish brown. And looks a bit like wood.

I know that's a long winded and fairly strange description, but I'd really appreciate it if one of you recognises it and can tell me what it might be.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like Caneite which they used to make from sugar cane, if fact I think they still do. Unusual as a wall lining as you are right, it is very soft.

Can be used and often is as a pinboard and used to be used a lot for ceilings as they did not generally have to take any hardwearing impact etc.

It is very fibrous once you puncture the surface and you can almost rub it away.

Does that describe it?
Thanks heaps Builda for the reply. That does describe it really well. Yeh, once you get past the surface, you can rub it away. And it is all over the ceilings too. Was it used in Melbourne in the 50s?

I was concerned it might be some kind of asbestos, though the building inspection last year specifically mentioned certain sheets used in another part of the house (laundry/mud room) as being asbestos. But they are clearly different from these soft ones which are throughout the rest of the house.

I appreciate your comment.
Yes, very popular and I think the post war period there was a shortage of other materials so it was almost a case of 'anything goes'.

The asbestos is quite safe while it is on the wall and not cut or broken. Caneite is harmless.
Related
15/06/2023
Internal sheeting of shed

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks. Yeh ideally that would have been good, but have progressed too far now. Hoping some well placed internal walls fixed up into the battens will provide some…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum