Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

concrete woes

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Hope someone can give me a solution to this problem
I formed up a 50sqm slab for our patio, did all the levels right, compacted gravel then sand, chaired up the mesh and so on and so forth.
The day of the concrete truck arrived, it was supposed to be at 12pm. I had a concretor who was going to direct the screeding and finishing. The truck didn't arrive for 2and a half hours and the concretor had to go to another job. I was left to do the job which wasn't a big issue. The cement came off the truck, and not being a concretor, it looked alright to me, and the truck driver seemed happy. Got all the cement in the form in about 15 minutes and one of my mates and I started screeding. About 20 minutes later, I realised the concrete was already going off. I put as much water on it as I thought was safe and kept going. We nearly killed ourselves getting it as level as possible then we got the wooden trowels out started trying to bring the slurry to the surface, but to no avail. This was around an hour and 15 mintues after the truck left!
The concretor returned and he went off his tree about how dry the crete was. We spent the next 2 hours trying to salvage some finish in the slab. What I am left with isn't pretty to say the least.
Any suggestions on how I can rescue the suface finish? I also think I am going to have problems with concrete dust with the amount of water we used to bring up any slurry...

Thanks in advance..
Cover the surface in stenciled concrete - choose a color and patern that suits the surroundings. Thats what I did and it turned out just fine.
HI
I had a similar problem (late truck, helper had to go, extra hot day) and ended up with very wavey surface with screed/trowel marks; at least it was non-slip.
So far I have used a conc. surface grimder to smooth/level surface, but still not great, next I plan to cover with something that will fill in the hollows. Regular concrete cover/paints are a maximum 5mm thick, but I need about 30mm thick. There is only one product I have found that will fill (as opposed to just cover) and is self leveling, it is made by REBOUND ACE, the company that does tennis courts. They have the details on their web site. I have not tried it yet as there are other more urgent projects - of course.
Good luck
if u grind the surface to get rid of all the dust .acid wash the surface to open the poures of the concret and then u can spray a stencil pattern over the top .this will make it more attractive any way
You poor bloke! My heart goes out to you really!! I'm just about to have a go at my first concreting project, a 9sqm slab for a shed, and i value your experience in that others can learn from it. Thanks for sharing your dilemma.
I would have been lefting holding a trowel in one hand and a gun in the other after that experience.
Do you have any other tips for a first timer and a mate doing a slab?

Good luck with future projects by the way.
Perhaps you can pave on it if your hight will still be o.k
Or try tiles. It's amazing what tiles look like on a patio. Choose a non-slip tile and use plenty of glue to help over come any unevenness in the concrete. It'll look a million bucks.
Related
2/05/2023
Control joint missing in concrete driveway

Building A New House

To my understanding early saw cuts are to control shrinkage cracks, so doing them now would be pointless. Control joints may reduce ugly cracking during periods of soil…

2/05/2023
Concrete driveway: joint spacing

Paving & Concreting

Hi all I need a guidance on how far I need to space expansion joints in the concrete driveway and its type (keyway/foam.) Contraction joints are at 3m max for a 125 slab. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum