Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Dumb waiter

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had a dumb waiter installed in their home.

We have arranged to have the cavity for one but not sure if it is so cost effective. Our cavity is 600mm x 600mm.

Also, can they be purchased in a flat packed cheaply? Hubby is quite handy so don't think it will be too hard from him to install and then get it hardwired by a sparky.

Have done a bit of investigating, and so far most have come in at 13K mark - we are looking to spend more like 5K.

Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has built their own.

Thanks!
Hello from far-away Brisbane. I see you're looking for a low-cost 240-volt dumbwaiter kit for your husband to install in the new home that you're building in Perth, ready for your sparkie to wire up for you. But you don't want to pay the usual $13,000 or so. That's a really significant addition to the cost of the house.

You say you only want to pay about $5000 for the kit. Well under half the going price. But I guess you'll still want it to be completely street-legal, with proper electric door interlocks and all the other safety features that the Australian Standard demands.

That sounds like a pretty hard ask, especially when you've already poured your upper floor with a given-size square hole through it for the liftwell, which the rails and car have to fit through. Do you remember that classic Aussie comedy movie from a while ago called 'The Castle'. The hero would be telling his son "Hey, tell her she's dreaming!"

But Brisbane people really go for a bargain, and over here there is a mob who do a street-legal but unbelievably cheap dumbwaiter kit. With classy-looking press-buttons for up, down and door release, a 240-volt brake motor, all the limit switches, door position sensors and electric door latches and 23 precut lengths of electric multicore cable, all labelled at both ends with what they connect to.

And a flat-packed stainless-steel made-to-order car around 500mm square by 1150mm high, with a 3-position shelf so you can fit in 6 canvas bags of groceries. Or take the shelf out and pop in a big rubbish bin, or a suitcase and a carry-on bag. I've seen one of their dumbwaiters working, and it's OK. So I'm saving up for one for myself.

All for a whisker under six grand for the basic model, including interstate delivery. As far as Adelaide so far, they say. That put a Smiley on your face? It's cheaper than the opposition's manual odumbwaiter with an endless rope to drag on one side or the other, to make the car go up and down.

But you do have to supply your own access doors, to match the surrounding cupboards.

I see this is a military site - no names, no pack drill. So you'll have to find them for yourself. But I reckon the website boss will let me give you just a hint. Look in the Brisbane Yellow Pages under 'Lifts', or else Google Australian businesses for 'Cheap dumbwaiters'.

All the best
The old Bill
If anyone's interested I have a dumbwaiter ready for installation. This is not the small "kit style" type that you tend to get these days, but a very solid built unit that could be used for either commercial or domestic applications. If interested, let me know email address & I can send you all the particulars........& yes, it will definitely add value to your home.
RW
All I could think of when I read the title was Manuel - Basil's mate ...

Sorry.
Well thats digging up and old thread!

wilsonst
If anyone's interested I have a dumbwaiter ready for installation. This is not the small "kit style" type that you tend to get these days, but a very solid built unit that could be used for either commercial or domestic applications. If interested, let me know email address & I can send you all the particulars........& yes, it will definitely add value to your home.
RW

Hey. I'm very interested in this post. I am currently building, and have left a shaft to allow for the installation of a dumbwaiter after the build has been completed, because I figure I just can't afford to have a dumbwaiter installed as part of the build. Loved to know all about your dumbwaiter unit.
resurrecting an old thread. Anyone got any experience? Still in the design and planning stage so want to get this right? How many dumb waiters is too many?
I've seen places with laundry shutes - which I quite like. Never a "dumb waiter".

But - not a bad idea.

Forgetting the power side - would it be possible with a "hand power" style - ie a pulley device ? The idea seems feasible - and might be cheaper ?

Sorry if this is not on - but I tend to think of such things when new ideas are presented to me.
Hi wilsonst I'm interested in purchasing a dumbwaiter me email address is [email removed]
Do you still have one for sale and how much. I'm located in Perth
Cheers
Damien
damjam
You can't fit old units in, it will need to be updated
with redundancy/ new safety systems and then certified.. ?
Old Bill mentioned in a previous tread that he knew of a firm that could provide a flat pack kit for approx $6k. Would you happen to know what company he was referring to?
Do you know of any company that would have a budget DIY flat pack kit for under $7k?
Cheers
Damien
Hello again
I haven't looked at this thread for years and years and here's DamJam now looking for a DYI flatpack
dumbwaiter kit earlier this year at half the going rate. Hope springs eternal, my old Mum used to say.
So I checked and the bloke from Brisbane is still making them, but with our dollar going down the gurgler
from 105 Yankees for 100 of ours back then, to only 70-odd Yankees for 100 of ours now,
and almost all the basic components paid for in US dollars when they arrive in Oz, he says his basic electric kit
has had to go up to about $9,000 for as far as Sydney, and a bit more for delivery further away.
(Past Perth and into Tassie so far, he says.)
But he claims he's improved the design to make the kit a bit easier and quicker for the handyman owner
or his chippie to install, so that's an advantage on top of the ginormous car,
designed to reduce the number of trips needed after each shopping trip.
Most interesting - he says he moved himself and his Liftgear business a few years ago from Brisbane
200km south to Lismore, but is still getting his flat-pack stainless cars made by the same sheetie in Brisbane.
And now he offers an alternative dearer under-counter model with a unique optional-extra feature -
when the car comes upstairs, you can pull a drawer out like a dish-washer, and the load is in it,
for much-easier reaching in to unload.
Hope that brings you up to date.
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum