Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

How to tell if the Tiler is good?

Page 2 of 2
Thanks Kingo.

So I need to ask what leveling system they use
The sysytem he used were small plastic levers that sat under the corner of each tile, these were connected to a small ring above the tile where a small notched wedge was inserted so as to give a slight lift to the tile as needed. There is never enough lift to seperate the tile from the glue on the floor but enough to level up a large area. We had roughly 250msq out of a 438msq house tiled and over large areas the result was amazing. After the glue had set they went around and just kicked the wedges out and the plastic breaks at a notch below the tile surface which is then covered by grout.
Sorry, I should rectify my initial post . The edge tiles were all cut first before any laying was done making sure there was no stop start through the laying with wet glue on the floor waiting for a tile. Also a previous post said check with the tile dealers. That is so true, when we were looking at tiles we went to Rockhampton(2 hours drive away) and asked what size tile we should have in our shower base. They asked who our tiler was and then said whatever size you want he does the lot, so he ended up doing our bases in 600mm tiles and it is outstanding because the grout lines match to the wall tiles, he just layed his own mud over the concrete and hooked in. If your in the Central Queensland area you cant beat Terry The Tiler (thats his business name). I couldn't recomend him enough. ( now i just gotta work out how to post photos so i can give some examples from our house.
Wish I was in qld
Hi Kingo, how much did this super tiler cost? Was he much more expensive than the norm? Did you have to buy tiles through him, or jsut engage his services?
Kingo
The sysytem he used were small plastic levers that sat under the corner of each tile, these were connected to a small ring above the tile where a small notched wedge was inserted so as to give a slight lift to the tile as needed. There is never enough lift to seperate the tile from the glue on the floor but enough to level up a large area. We had roughly 250msq out of a 438msq house tiled and over large areas the result was amazing. After the glue had set they went around and just kicked the wedges out and the plastic breaks at a notch below the tile surface which is then covered by grout.
I've never heard that anyone would go that far to make sure that tile corners are not dropped down or lipping up

I can't help but wonder what did you ask him to do when he ended up doing that?? Or maybe I am getting the wrong idea? Was your slab really bad, or did he know/notice that the tiles were unequal and bowed on corners? or ... and yes, what kind of fee are we talking about? Pitty I'm not in Qld ...
hmm... duh... if anyone has a similar quality tiler in sydney they would recommend... please pm me...

I assume kingro you are describing something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WI7ZqxI ... re=related
^ OMG
A spacer and anti-lipper in one!
Seems like Sydney tilers either avoid this system, or simply not tell the client about it
If they knew about it, I would have expected that they mention it after asking them if it's possible to install without lipping. Maybe there is an issue with tile corners breaking / cracking if the tile is slightly thinner (because maybe the glue doesn't quite "pack" sufficiently to support the thinned out corner??)

Anyway, is there an equivalent product to this LASH system here?

The video also mentions that this is the most cost effective system to ensure level tiling
(excluding having to level the floor in some cases) but I suspect that any "novelty" like this would be charged a premium, just for the sake of it

One thing, this system definitely doesn't help when tile corners are slightly bowed. But I think it makes the tiler's job much easier and takes lots the fiddliness and tiny adjustments of the corners out of the game
Seems like Oz tilers do have access to these systems. Tuscan, Rubi, Raimondi, Lash .... to name a few.

Wow. That system looks amazing! It's only used for the floor or walls as well?

What about when fall needs to be achieved? Does it help in those situations?

With this system I reckon even I could give it a go
Search for Raimondi, Tuscan or Lash. Apparently this "will add a huge amount to the job as these self-levelling wedges are exy" - completely opposite from what the manufacturers of these systems are claiming.
Re. falls - one of these systems mentions falls (I think excludes them ... wasn't paying attention).
Thanks lex
Pauleven thats exactly the same system they used. I remember them kicking out thousands of these yellow wedges. there was no extra cost to me for the tiler using this system, he told me that the wedges are reusable to the next job and the clear plastic pieces under the tiles weren't that expensive but it does take more time to lay the tiles but it does leave a brilliant result especially covering a bit of wonky concreting. My builder looks after this tiler pretty well because he is known for his workmanship. Across the road from me my builder had another house on the go and because Terry was tied up doing my place they got a tiler up from Bundy, after the job they got him to come back and rip out dozens of tiles from the floor because of the dives and lippers. The tiler was pleading his case that his job was the standard in Bundy until the builder showed him my place and was gobsmacked and started removing tiles from his job until he had no more spare tiles to replace them with. This system wil definately have to become the norm because the more customers find out about it, the more it will be required.
http://www.tilersonline.com.au/products/product/TT-LCWB?category=UNRJPTBO&

The Lash system is available to all tilers

Strangely, the page above says that the coverage is 6.4 m2 "per pack" (for 6x6 tiles). What's "one pack"?? It can't be the whole kit!!

Kit consists of:
960 x CLIPS Pieces
384 x WEDGES Pieces
1 X 20 LITRE Storage Bucket
My Tiler told me the most important room in the house to get right is the toilet because thats where you spend the most time just sitting and looking around.

He did a good job on the rest of the place as well though.
Related
5/12/2023
Concerns with my Tiler's job. With Pictures

Bathrooms and Laundry

Regardless of wall hung toilet or floor pan toilet your feet will be right on drain, seems to me the waste should not be in that location given the design. Also are you…

15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum