Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Pest Control

Page 1 of 1
Hi There

I am after a bit of advice.

I had Pest Control come out approx 2 weeks ago to spray my house as I was having to kill White-Tail spiders daily not to mention other spiders and insects.
Although the problem has improved I am still finding several spiders and insects everyday.

Is this normal?
I assumed that by calling Pest Control my problem would have somewhat disappeared for at least 6-12 months.

Thankyou
Generally the best time to spray for spiders is in September as that is the start of their breeding season. At this time of year it is too late to really impact on their population. I'd suggest spraying in September/October on a yearly basis. Other ways of controlling numbers are to make sure there is no garden beds against the house including mulch, cut back overhanging trees and remove rubbish/piled green waste from surrounding areas.

You may also find that any spiders entering the house will seem quite lethargic especially Huntsman as the spray really effects them. It may take a couple of weeks before they have vacated the surrounding areas.
Spiders help to control garden pests, flies and other pesky insects, so I prefer not to kill them - not to mention that regularly spraying poisons around your home isn't a great idea.

We squish the odd redback or whitetail and only bring out the Mortein if we can't catch the buggers. Any big hairy spiders (which don't bother me, but my family aren't keen on) get caught in a jar and tossed out into the garden.

There's some discussion on the subject in the gardening forum if you do a search.
I don't know where you are, but in SA there's a mob called "The Fly Man", we swear by him, he comes out and does a spray usually at the start of summer and it keeps all flies, spiders, earwigs, silverfish away for three months (during the problematic summer!). He uses natural stuff too, so it's safe for our dog, but none to healthy for all the critters.
GTI
Hi There

I am after a bit of advice.

I had Pest Control come out approx 2 weeks ago to spray my house as I was having to kill White-Tail spiders daily not to mention other spiders and insects.
Although the problem has improved I am still finding several spiders and insects everyday.

Is this normal?
I assumed that by calling Pest Control my problem would have somewhat disappeared for at least 6-12 months.

Thankyou

MMMMmmmmm
this has just happened to me as well GTI? Weird
waaaaayyyy tooo many White tails inside the house for my liking...
It's a good idea to have your roof void dusted as well having your house sprayed , spiders often come up through gutters and into your roof then drop through light fittings.
After having your house sprayed you still may see spiders around , if the spider walks across the treated spray area they will hopefully pick up some of the spray treatment and die.Even after picking up some of the spray depending on the size of the spider it may take up to 8 hours for the larger ones to die.
rockabilly_kid
He uses natural stuff too

Dunno if its the one he means, but they call pyrethrin natural but thats only half the story.
Not sure where you are, but we have used Hunter and Coast pest control in newcastle in the past and they did a great job - spiders/ants/cockroaches all gone.
Website is - http://www.hcpest.com.au
Well
Guys we are in Goulburn NSW. We got the cleaners clean house and pest controller sprays in the roof void. Mob webs removed weekly and they just come back. Now we are getting 5/6 of small baby spides hanging in the roof every day. Last week they were smaller this week they are a bit larger baby. We sealed the windows and sliding doors. Actually stopped openinb the windows and doors at all except the main entry door.
We had 5/6 small pine trees in the garden. I was told that pine trees harvor spiders so we got gardener cutting down all pine trees and a few shrubs that were close to the building.

What else can i do apart from burning down the house?
Can u recognise what species is this little one, who seem to infested our house and the 2 lots of pest control treatment 2 weeks back didnt touch them. I am afraid they will grow bigger anytime and i will have to live the house at that point ☹️

rockabilly_kid
I don't know where you are, but in SA there's a mob called "The Fly Man", we swear by him, he comes out and does a spray usually at the start of summer and it keeps all flies, spiders, earwigs, silverfish away for three months (during the problematic summer!). He uses natural stuff too, so it's safe for our dog, but none to healthy for all the critters.
we are in Goulburn. I wish we had him around ☹️

Related
30/08/2023
Pest control. What is doing this?

General Discussion

Hi group, have some damage to the door frame and skirting board. It's a side door to the laundry area. Only has a security door. I had a termite inspection (note drill…

19/02/2024
Termite and pest control

General Discussion

Fantastic. Good to know. Thank you very much

1/10/2023
Pest Proofing Ventilation gaps in brick veneer home

General Discussion

Brass fly wire, you will need to cut it, shape it and jam it into brick slots

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros