Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Timber Fence - adding pailings to make "Non-Climable"

Page 1 of 1
We are getting a pool in a few months and our adjoining fence will be one side of the pool fence. The adjoining fence is just your standard timber fence approx. 1500mm in height. The only issue is that on the neighbours side they have the horizontal railings going across the fence, which will not be approved for a pool (there needs to be a Non-Climable Zone on the neighbours side).

So we are looking at getting pailings added to their side so it's classified as Non-Climable.

A few questions:

1. How much would I expect someone to provide and install these pailings in order to make the fence non-climable? We have approx. 25 metres of fence. We have got one official quote for $1700 which seems waaaay too expensive. Got another quote over the phone and he said they roughly charge $30 per metre...so that would be around $750. I will not be doing this myself but don't want to get ripped off by someone...

2. I'm pretty sure our neighbour is renting. I'm guessing the owner of their house will need to be notified of this? (and not just the renter). Will I have to go through the owner's real estate to contact him/her?

Thanks!
Agent 009
$1700 / 25 = $68m

thats ridiculous.

A whole fence is usually only $55m

I'd say any where from 45-60m is about right, the cost of posts and cement is that different to the palings so about the same price would be likely
What state are you in ?
I know in QLD for common boundary pool fencing the "non climable" zone needs to be on the pool side of the fence.
This ammendement to the regulations was made a few years ago now, not sure if it's nation wide legislation or state by state.
As it stands internally needs to be a min of 1.8 m sheer drop, splash proof, any fence abutment can have no more than a 50mm top edge.
http://www.dlgp.qld.gov.au/resources/la ... rriers.pdf
Go to page 21.
Hi evo,

I'm in QLD.

The NCZ (non-climable zone) is on the neighbours side for fences under 1800mm in length (side facing away from pool).

For fences 1800mm or greater the NCZ can be on neighbours side OR pool side.

Cheers.

In the end we ended up paying $500 to replace 25metres of 1500mm with 1800mm timber fencing.
Related
7/03/2024
Framing timber size needed for a double wall system in non-l

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Long story short, a toilet room is going to back onto our main bedroom and I want to make it close to soundproof. Im going to build two frames (pretty much a room within a…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

12/02/2024
KDR - non-inclusions from Overseas

Building A New House

Thanks. There are plenty of builders around my suburb. I'll make sure to do some door-to-door knocking, or note their building details on the temp fence.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum