Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

3 phase power to new home

Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advise in regards to a charge we have received from ETSA for the 'connection of supply with more than standard number of phases'...

I am of the understanding that the costs for connecting all utilities (power, water, gas, telephone, sewerage) is included in the building contract as as such should be covered by the builder as a part of the cost of build, however the bill has been sent directly to me and the builder says that it is not covered.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is a usual charge not covered by the builder?
In our contract (Big M in 2005) the electricity was excluded. It cost us $220 for single phase only.

Regards
Hi Shacky,

I have just gone through a similar thing with ETSA and our builder. Our situation is as follows:

The standard connection is only single phase and this is covered in the inclusions by the builder. However, getting 3-phase power is an upgrade and both the builder and ETSA will charge us extra for this. I have been advised by ETSA that the cost will be $255 + GST and our customer service contact at the builder said something about an additional $300 or so as well.

So I guess unless your building contract specifically says that it includes 3-phase power and that the builder will cover the charges from ETSA you will have to pay this.
I think from memory we paid an extra few hundred with Carlisle Homes to have 3 phase fitted.

We ran it to the garage and to the Air Con.
We have three phase included in our contract so should be no additional cost to us - apart from adding surge arrestors - we had to get three
but better to be safe than sorry.
There's an additional connection fee for the three phase from the power company. Although I was told about this at prestart.
Hi

I am building with M3tr!con (NSW). The contract includes three-phase wiring and connection to "the street". However the actual connection to the electricity company (I think that means installation of the meters) is not included and is my responsibility after handover.

DKP
3 Phase power, You must have a large demand as 3 phase is not usually needed. I have a large house with 4 A/C the usual 3 TV's Cinema as well and an electric oven and single phase has never been an issue.
Wait one moment. We are missing the point. Shacky, did you ask for three phase? If not, then there should be no extra cost to you.

I, as a business can't supply more to you than in a contract and then charge you for it. If there was a variation then there needs to be a signed variation form (singed by the builder and the owner).
@ foc 1 - Most large Refrigerated Air con systems use 3 phase power. The reason is the power required to start the compressor is so high that it will almost definitely cause a surge/drop out of other appliances in the house.

3 phase is also cheaper per unit than single phase so the bigger A/C units don't cost any more to run than the smaller ones.

Another upside to 3 phase is that 3 phase tools and equipment are cheaper to buy as its not very common. You can get 2nd hand work shop equipment at around 20-35% of retail 3yr old if its 3 phase.
If you have a fixed price contract and it says it includes electricity connection there should be no extra charge to you.

@Casa2 - We're assuming they have asked or need 3 phase power (Air Con or just asked for it anyway)

Also @Shacky - You should re read your building contract to see what is included for the connections. I'm pretty sure not many builder connect telephone as standard. Ours doesn't and we have to have it at our cost. The cost of our 3 phase upgrade was $1230, this was due to the distance from the exchange/connection in street and a couple of other factors.
Casa2
Shacky, did you ask for three phase?

Yes, I did ask for 3 phase as we have a 4.4hp A/C unit being installed, and after talking to ETSA they said that there will always be an additional cost to the owner (not covered by the builder) to connect the 3 phase power to the grid. The builder's charge for 3 phase power was to run all the wiring from the switchboard to the stoby pole (power pole) out the front of the house, as well as the upgraded wiring etc in the house.
Just had a look at our electrician's bill and it quotes:-

1 x 3 phase outlet to garage + 3 pole circuit breaker
$330.00

Can't remember what our builder was going to charge us but they went bankrupt before the end of the build so we engaged the eleco to finish everything off ourselves. This was all we were charged - nothing extra from the electricity company.
Related
5/12/2023
Frustration during Construction Phase

Building A New House

sorry wrong thread - deleted my post

7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

3/02/2024
Cooker now power after boil over

Kitchen Appliances

get an electrician to check and repair before you kill yourself

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum