Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Frames, Timber or Steel ??

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am building a new home.

Hi, Can someone advise about the pros and cons of the timber and steel frames in the house structure.

Timber and wooden frames has been going on for decades but the steel frames are a new thing.

So, what is the best option ?? Please advise.

Steel frames may be termite proof but they may be susceptible to corrossion, are there any issues with the metallic contraction/expansion during summer/winters, which may adversely affect the house structure ?

Please provide your views, they will be highly appreciated.

Sanjeev
A simple way of looking at it is that wood = maintenance, metal is less maintenance.

I really think it comes down to what you prefer to be looking at and if you prefer wood are you preferred to keep staining it each year to keep it looking good and in good condition.
lisanne
A simple way of looking at it is that wood = maintenance, metal is less maintenance.

I really think it comes down to what you prefer to be looking at and if you prefer wood are you preferred to keep staining it each year to keep it looking good and in good condition.

Staining the wooden frame every year? Maybe a bit off track??

As for the question, no idea really, but if you are having a tiled roof then I would personally suggest timber rather than metal due to the weight.
Timber = Cheapest option + most common (some areas will be mostly steel, but across Aus timber is most common)

Blue Timber (latest termite treatment) = more than regular timber but less than steel and the obvious extra protection.

Steel = most expensive, but has lower warping/expanding/contracting than timber. Also a better fire rating I think

Our current place in Melbourne creaks quite a bit throughout the year as the frame expands and contracts resulting in creaking/cracking noises) This could be negated with thicker framing but obviously we can't fix it now.

Basically if you are going to build in an area that is not known to have termite problems, has a relatively stable climate, timber will be fine. If there termites around(call the council to find out) then you can either choose steel or blue timber to keep them at bay. you will also require regular re treatments to be safe.

If you live in a bushfire zone, then you may noot have a choice. you may be required to get steel framing.

Some builders offer an upgrade to timber frames by increasing to 90x45 (from 70x35) internal framing.

Our new place has a mix of frame sizes. I think they're thicker for all external walls
It may depend on the budget. Timber frames are generally cheaper I guess.
Steel wall and roof frames are to only way to go.

Steel frames do not creak. Any creaking will be the roof sheeting (if you go/have a metal roof) and the reason it does it is because the sheeting is screwed down tight so that when the sun hits it has to expand whereas when metal roof sheeting was nailed it didn't have the same pressure applied as a screwed roof so therefore had give and take in the sheeting.
Its really personal opinion. Both have pros and cons. Most people still go with timber. Its cheaper and easy to work with. If your in a bush fire prone area, steel will be a better option, and with new regulations, one of your only options. However, something like Black Saturday and your steel frame will be a steel puddle regardless.

If your coastal, then the steel frame is subject to corrosion from the salt. Timber is too, but not as much.

At the end of the day, your builder will probably dictate the materials. Some builders only use steel, others only timber.
Huggy_B
lisanne

Staining the wooden frame every year? Maybe a bit off track??

As for the question, no idea really, but if you are having a tiled roof then I would personally suggest timber rather than metal due to the weight.

hahah yes!
I was thinking window frames
Both steel and timber frames will do the structural work. Termite issue is resolved by using H2 or T2 treated timber although be aware that termites will still attach architraves and cupboards etc. which can be relatively easy to replace.

The key will be your builder. I know builders who passionately hate steel frames yet others love it. One point a builder made to me tho was that if you want to change things with timber, it's easy to go down to the hardware store and get a few more studs.

Wrt cost, it is a local thing. Generally speaking, timber is cheaper even treated and readily available in most areas.

Environmentally, timber is more sustainable than steel.

That's my 2c worth.
We are just in the final stages of a owner built steel frame house. I used to work in the timber industry and have built in timber in the past.
Pros of steel, frames and trusses are light and straight to work with. Termites etc as others have said.
Cons some tradies don't like/or are used to working with steel. Screwing can be a problem and slower than a nail guns. I have had some screws strip the thread or frames hole. Screws are more expensive than nails. Some extra mounting plates are required for TV mounts etc.

I would owner build in steel again.
All,

Looking for inputs/suggestion here..

T2 Treated Termite Resistant Frame (or) Hybrid Frame?

Note:
T2 Treated Termite Resistant Frame - Full timber framing system that has been pre-treated for termite protection
Hybrid - combination of steel frame and treated timber trusses

Which one is better? Please let me know your thoughts?

Many thanks!
Cost would seem the issue. I reckon steel frame is great.

But - not all that new is it. We had a steel framed house and the big difference was at night - NO noises ...

Clearly superior in termite areas.

BUT - when doing electrical things remember it is there. I well remember an electrician doing work - I warned him we had steel frame - yet he went his merry way. Not sure what he did but we got quite a flash and one of the wall tiles melted - actually looked like it melted. He went very white.
I used steel frames on my shack (so I had somewhere to stay whilst building my house).
I regretted using the steel frames. I found them more difficult to use than timber.
I have raking ceilings and some of the prefabricated steel frames did not fit. I had to try and cut them down with an angle grinder re-drill them and re-rivet them. My results were poor.
Careful planning to provide extra noggins for wall mounted items is required at an early stage.
I found hand rivetting them together with structural rivets very hard & I managed to sprain my arms which meant I could not do any building work for several months.
Second fixing (architraves, door frames skirtings etc) to the steel frames was unsatisfactory. Often the self drilling screws would be over tightened and become loose or the screw heads would remain proud if not over tightened.

On my house build I used treated timber. It was cheap to buy and easy to work with. Timber frames could be quickly made and fixed together using drop saw and nail gun.
It was easy to make minor changes/adjustments as work progressed. Damaged or bowed studs could be easily replaced.
Extra timber supports for heavy wall mounted items could readily be added up to sheeting walls both sides.

Thanks so much for the responses, much appreciated.

I'll provide further details so that you can help me make a decision. I'm building with Eden Brae homes and have the above option included in my build price i.e., I can choose either T2 treated termite resistant frame or combination of steel and treated timber trusses.

1.) I'm not sure whether 'treated trusses' is the same as 'T2 treated termite resistant' because if I choose the hybrid option I get treated trusses for the non-metal portion

2.) From the above picture, it looks like steel is only for the roof area?
P.S. This is my first ever build so please bear with me if I'm not using the right building terms/language

3.) The timber frame looks different in both the pictures - at least the colour. Not sure what the difference is?

4.) I'm doing few things externally post completion by builder - Ducted air conditioning, some electrical stuff like downlights, external facade lights, light over garage, external side lights etc. Will the above hybrid frame be suitable for these works? In other words, will there be any constraints if I use hybrid frame?

With the above inputs, do you still suggest T2 treated termite resistant frame is the way to go?

Your time is much appreciated.
Timber is WAY more sustainable. If sourced correctly, it is a carbon sink, actually extracting carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. Steel emits A LOT of CO2 during it's manufacture.

A steel frame is thermally inefficient. Steel is a very high conductor of heat. This means in summertime heat can bypass the insulation, heating the house. This is called thermal bridging, & must be taken into account during the design stage.

Timber is an appropriate material for a houses frame. The frame is inside the building envelope, protected from the environment. There's timber framed houses that have stood for hundreds of years. It just needs to be treated in termite areas. Timber is also cheaper, so why would you bother with steel?
Hi,

My personal choice is steel but it depends on many factors like budget, your location, etc.
If you are leaving in coastal area timber is good but otherwise steel is better.
The builder may take more time to complete the house if you chose steel frames. Moreover, if you want to revamp your house in future, which require frame changes, it will be a problem.
Thanks,
ddarroch
Timber is WAY more sustainable. If sourced correctly, it is a carbon sink, actually extracting carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. Steel emits A LOT of CO2 during it's manufacture.

Then again, it depends on what your definition of sustainable is. Theoretically a steel frame should last a millenium, whereas wood frames can burn down, by eaten by termites, sag, etc, thus requiring demolition and rebuilding. Not so with steel.
ddarroch
A steel frame is thermally inefficient. Steel is a very high conductor of heat. This means in summertime heat can bypass the insulation, heating the house. This is called thermal bridging, & must be taken into account during the design stage.

Dont follow that logic. A wood frame bypasses insulation in the same way and will conduct heat as well, but less efficiently as you state. But the rub is that on a very hot day, such as we experience so often now in these heatwaves every summer, timber actually soaks up and retains the heat well into the night, requiring you to use air con to cool your house down. Again, in that respect it is not so sustainable

ddaroc
Timber is an appropriate material for a houses frame. The frame is inside the building envelope, protected from the environment. There's timber framed houses that have stood for hundreds of years. It just needs to be treated in termite areas. Timber is also cheaper, so why would you bother with steel?

Steel or timber, they are both inside the build envelope. Timber may not be cheaper in the long run if you have to annually pay for termite treatments. In my opinion, steel frames are easier to assemble and fix onsite than timber frames, particularly for a novice or unskilled builder.

So there are some answer to your question as to why you would use steel.
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the responses, it helps!

Now, I'm specifically looking for inputs on the below.

I'm going to do Ducted air conditioning, some electrical stuff like downlights, external facade lights, light over garage, external side lights, hanging pendant lights (kitchen). Will there be any constraints if I go with Steel frame?

I don't want to choose Steel frame and get caught out not being able to do any of the above - would appreciate your inputs please.

I reached out to my electrical consultant (builder's) and the below was her response -

If you have a steel frame access to the cavity wall is impossible as the steel fills the cavity. If it is a timber frame then the noggins are placed on the side so there is cavity to add additional items at a later date.
voz
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the responses, it helps!

Now, I'm specifically looking for inputs on the below.

I'm going to do Ducted air conditioning, some electrical stuff like downlights, external facade lights, light over garage, external side lights, hanging pendant lights (kitchen). Will there be any constraints if I go with Steel frame?

I don't want to choose Steel frame and get caught out not being able to do any of the above - would appreciate your inputs please.

I reached out to my electrical consultant (builder's) and the below was her response -

If you have a steel frame access to the cavity wall is impossible as the steel fills the cavity. If it is a timber frame then the noggins are placed on the side so there is cavity to add additional items at a later date.

Will depend on the design of your steel frame but ours only has small noggins that take up less space than timber ones and regular pre cut holes in the studs and top plates making it straight forward to add stuff.

And the noggin

bank
Will depend on the design of your steel frame but ours only has small noggins that take up less space than timber ones and regular pre cut holes in the studs and top plates making it straight forward to add stuff.

Thank you, bank. Not sure about the design - I've added a picture in this thread above if that helps?

Will there be any constrains/issues if I do the below after handover if I go with Steel frames do you think?

Ducted air conditioning, some electrical stuff like downlights, external facade lights, light over garage, external side lights, hanging pendant lights (kitchen).

Please share your thoughts.
Related
29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum