Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

EVERYTHING MERBAU!!

Page 1 of 2
I thought I would start this topic as I love merbau! And I would like ideas on ways that I can use merbau to dress up my home externally.
This topic is for anyone who has anything merbau that you would like to share or discuss.
It can be decking, screening, fences etc Anything at all!!

PHOTOS, PHOTOS, PHOTOS PLEASE!!

Enjoy
Ooh, I have a thing for merbau also...

here's a pic of our partially completed first deck... We used 140mm wide boards. The boards will continue up the side of the retaining wall so it appears seamless, if you get what I mean

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/aaron4erin/deckDSC_1408.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/aaron4erin/deckDSC_1406.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/aaron4erin/deckDSC_1413.jpg
Here's a previous post on Merbau:
viewtopic.php?p=339961

Unfortunately it looks like a bit of a nasty imported timber possibly sourced from unsustainable forestry practices in South East Asia. I too am getting merbau decking and I love the look of it, however I thought that I had better let people know that all things about it may not be roses
My timber screen out the front is merbau, love it.

yeh Merbau is an imported timber, from indonesia. It is a good timber for external.However you have to watch the leetching or bleeding. The product can stain pavers or limestone with a red or brown stain.
Come on people... this is meant to be a positive topic about what people have been using merbau for.
Even if it is imported I still love the look of it !

Does anyone else have photos of their decking, screenings, planter pots etc ??
OK, here's a photo of where my deck is at the moment. It is not even nailed in yet.

I would completely agree with the staining. You should see the soil beneath the deck. Also the soil where the merbau was left to sit is all brown.

I will post some photos of the display home deck and our finished deck when I get a chance and when it the deck is finished.

Have you tried searching the forums for more ideas?

I know there are lots of pics throughout the Landscaping and Outdoor Living forums...
Hi,
Just need opinions please

We currently have a Merbau deck out the front of our house. My partner and I are thinking a making 2 merbau planter boxes to put on the deck, in the future we are also wanting to put approx a 1.2m merbau front slat fence but the posts will be clear coated Cypress to break it up a little. And our front door will be stained a merbau colour.

Does anyone think it might be too much merbau?
Our house is weatherboard painted beige in colour.

I would really like to do this but whats everyones opinion?
JJ305
Hi,

We currently have a Merbau deck out the front of our house. My partner and I are thinking a making 2 merbau planter boxes to put on the deck, in the future we are also wanting to put approx a 1.2m merbau front slat fence but the posts will be clear coated Cypress to break it up a little.

If it's broken up with lush green plants, then I dont think there's such a thing as too much merbau

Been meaning to add pics of our front porch since the deck went down...

just Erin
JJ305
Hi,

We currently have a Merbau deck out the front of our house. My partner and I are thinking a making 2 merbau planter boxes to put on the deck, in the future we are also wanting to put approx a 1.2m merbau front slat fence but the posts will be clear coated Cypress to break it up a little.

If it's broken up with lush green plants, then I dont think there's such a thing as too much merbau

Been meaning to add pics of our front porch since the deck went down...

Very nice!! I like the fact that the door mat is "in" the deck, I know in the past I have nearly fallen over a few

In the planter boxes we want to put a colourful flowering plant, like a blue orchard for example. But we will eventually planting a garden bed in front of the decking so that should help break this up also.
I do not care what Merbu looks like - all I see is a dead Organgatang or two, do you know it does come from Indonesia and is rainforest timeber. My opinion, for what it is worth, it is better to use plantation timber and it looks great also eg, Spotted gum
I used to think the same thing about people wearing fur, or leather shoes, or eating meat for that matter when I was a vegetarian for all my teen years.

Your opinion is your own, you're entitled to it.
nice looking deck.please dont take this the wrong way but a bit of advise for anyone thinking of doing the same,to avoid the ripped down board in the deck what i do is work out how much has to be cut off in width then lose the amount say over 5-8 boards taking off maybe 5mm on each board.bit more time consuming but well worth the effort for the seamless look.
to avoid merbau leaching[the red/brown staining]you need to oil the underside and side of the boards before you lay them to seal the surface.
darrell81

nice looking deck.please dont take this the wrong way but a bit of advise for anyone thinking of doing the same,to avoid the ripped down board in the deck what i do is work out how much has to be cut off in width then lose the amount say over 5-8 boards taking off maybe 5mm on each board.bit more time consuming but well worth the effort for the seamless look.
to avoid merbau leaching[the red/brown staining]you need to oil the underside and side of the boards before you lay them to seal the surface.

Thanks darrell. I dont mind your advice, but please dont use my photos as your examples of criticism or what 'not to do'. We have no issue with the slimmer boards. We were going to put it in the centre, but then didn't have any longer boards to complete that longer section. The deck hasn't been oiled yet, the photos were taken shortly after it was laid. The timber was delivered to us wet, therefore the merbau had leached. It's been washed since.
just Erin
darrell81

Thanks darrell. I dont mind your advice, but please dont use my photos as your examples of criticism or what 'not to do'. We have no issue with the slimmer boards. We were going to put it in the centre, but then didn't have any longer boards to complete that longer section. The deck hasn't been oiled yet, the photos were taken shortly after it was laid. The timber was delivered to us wet, therefore the merbau had leached. It's been washed since.

i,m sorry it wasnt a criticism.i,ll delete my post
I didn't mean you had to delete your post. Your information is good. I was just asking that you dont use my pics as an example of 'what not to do'. Makes us feel like failures
[quote="just Erin"]I didn't mean you had to delete your post. Your information is good. I was just asking that you dont use my pics as an example of 'what not to do'. Makes us feel like failures
/quote]

nobodys a failure it looks good,i,m a finishing foreman so have an eye for detail thats all,ive seen so called trade qualified carpenters work for us and turned out terrible decks,so bad infact they got the sack.your looks great
darrell81
nobodys a failure it looks good,i,m a finishing foreman so have an eye for detail thats all,ive seen so called trade qualified carpenters work for us and turned out terrible decks,so bad infact they got the sack.your looks great
Our deck was built by a plumber
Pretty sure his work is better than some chippy's we've seen...
just Erin
darrell81
Our deck was built by a plumber
Pretty sure his work is better than some chippy's we've seen...

i better not post piccies of my plumbing efforts then
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum