Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Planning a country build

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

My fiance and I are in the last stages of planning to build our first home in country Victoria.

We have been researching builders and designs for the last 15 months, and are pretty much ready to proceed (we now have to wait for our land to be approved).

I was wondering what advice you may have (we are looking at build with Dennis Family Homes - the Brookdale 24).
Hi Goalump,
We are building with DFH and really haven't had any problems with them. They are slow to get to the construction stage, but seem to be ok so far from there on. Good luck with your decision.
Hi Kaytee,

thanks for the info. The slower than average contract period has been something I've noted on other forum posts.

In one sense I hope our process is not as long, but if it means more saving time and a period to get all of the features correct, then that's a good thing.
Hi Goalump

We are building with DFH and like Kaytee have had no real prob's. They have been very responsive to any queries and concerns, they were slow on the paperwork side but we had no problems with any of the paperwork so that is good. The Brookdale is a lovely layout.
Hi Herbiecat,

thanks for that as well.

The Brookedale stood out when I saw it at Cranbourne last year - I've been back three times to see it, and its similar sizes at Lyndhurst and Bendigo.

I'll admit the colour selecting will be the challenge - the fiance and I are not too fussed, but since coming onto the site a number of ideas have been found.
Hi,

Congratulations!
I love the Brookdale design and it is the home that my brother and I built in 2008, however we actually built the Brookdale 220 (single vanity in the ensuite and no walk in linen cupboard are the differences between the 220 and the 240)

I love the layout of the Brookdale, and was looking at building the Brookdale 240 with my new build but unfortunately it worked out cheaper for me to build with a different builder.

We have had no problems with DFH at all. They never hesitate in doing a maintenance call (we have had them out several times over the last two years) and would have preferred to build with them again.

Good luck with your build.

Michelle
i have a cleint building with DFH in Bendigo, they seam to be very good at letting you get your own trades in if you arn't happy with thier guys.
Thanks guys,

we are looking at expanding the main room by a metre to put a bath in the ensuite, but it is still early days.

Thanks for the tip with Bendigo, I assume that will be where our builders will come from (closest major centre).
Related
11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

3/02/2024
Overshadowing clarification - planning - SL housing

General Discussion

I am not based in Victoria however i had a quick look into your question to understand what you were asking. The way I read the regulations, overshadowing relates to the…

12/04/2024
Two kitchens in one house - planning rules

General Discussion

"is it exempt or do I need to get permission from council" Call your Council and ask them

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum