Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

privacy from 2 story neighbours!!

Page 1 of 2
A few weeks out from our house being finished and I can't get excited because of the HUGE 2 story house being built beside us...on the side of our alfresco and main yard area!!!! Has anyone experienced this and discovered any great ways to create INSTANT privacy! I know we could do planting screen but can't wait 2 years for them to grow!! Unless we get some huge trees craned in but asume that would be a fortune!!

Desperate!!
Where are you building? Most councils have building codes regarding privacy issues and in your case I would not be surprised if any windows of habitable rooms (bedrooms, living rooms, etc) of the second floor would require obscure glass to 1.7 metres. We're building two storey and that is the requirement where we're building (Melb - south east). If there were issues regarding over shadowing of your house by the neighbours property, then they should have presented you a 'report and consent' however since they have started building, this may not have been a requirement.
OurLindrum52
Where are you building? Most councils have building codes regarding privacy issues and in your case I would not be surprised if any windows of habitable rooms (bedrooms, living rooms, etc) of the second floor would require obscure glass to 1.7 metres. We're building two storey and that is the requirement where we're building (Melb - south east). If there were issues regarding over shadowing of your house by the neighbours property, then they should have presented you a 'report and consent' however since they have started building, this may not have been a requirement.

Correct.
Most designs now cater for this. I know with ours the top story windows are elevated above head level and obscured.
We're a 2 storey towering over our neighbours .. we didn't know until we saw all the other houses getting built! Most of our top storey windows are above head level, except two small ones at the side, and for those ones you would have to stand in the corner of the bedroom to be able to see out into someone's backyard. The bathroom window is large but it's glazed.

So I would check out where their windows are and if they are glazed before considering it as an issue.
I think btherl means "obscure glazed" as hopefully all of their windows are glazed lol

As others have said, firstly check to make sure that the two storey house complies with your local council's requirements for not overshadowing your property and having obscure glazing (or high windows). If that's all OK then privacy could perhaps be achieved by putting a roof on your alfresco (if there isn't already one), putting in some plants or maybe installing some of those screens (made of timber or render) to make an "outdoor room".

If it makes you feel any better my neighbours have put in a 3.7 metre high brick wall within 1 metre of our boundary fence because they want to put their caravan in the garage
van
A few weeks out from our house being finished and I can't get excited because of the HUGE 2 story house being built beside us...on the side of our alfresco and main yard area!!!! Has anyone experienced this and discovered any great ways to create INSTANT privacy! I know we could do planting screen but can't wait 2 years for them to grow!! Unless we get some huge trees craned in but asume that would be a fortune!!

Desperate!!
Yep, I hear you. Welcome to my world
The upstairs window (not frosted) will look directly into our alfresco and kitchen. Great
Haven't come up with any solutions yet.
The simple solution - make friends with your neighbours
Any time you plan on entertaining have them around, and then there won't be anyone in the house next door to 'spy' on you
In new estates those sort of rules rarely apply. It is more for established areas that obscure glazing and higher windows are required.
When it's all said and done I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you're doing something to warrant peeping, most normal people don't sit by their windows watching what their neighbours are doing anyway
Rowena
van

Desperate!!
Yep, I hear you. Welcome to my world
The upstairs window (not frosted) will look directly into our alfresco and kitchen. Great
Haven't come up with any solutions yet.

This will be my world too
when next door move into the monster house that they are building

Their rumpus room upstairs looks into our family room, alfresco and our entrance. NOT HAPPY JAN!!
van

Desperate!!

There are trees actually called "neighbours begone {spelling check} and these grow quite quickly and would be a quick fix for you
ceebee48
van

Desperate!!

There are trees actually called "neighbours begone {spelling check} and these grow quite quickly and would be a quick fix for you

As long as they don't become - foundations begone.
We are on the high side of our new neighbours - they knocked down their one storey and all the screening trees between us and replaced with a two storey and are soon to move in. One of their second floor windows looks straight through our kitchen into our bathroom, where we normally, quite happily have a bath or shower and wander in and out as nature intended.

This is life in modern cities - whilst we would have preferred it not to happen, we realise that planning laws allow knock down and rebuilds like that. No point getting angry. We like our neighbours. We also like our privacy.

So we have planted some clumping bamboo - it will take a while to grow but should provide plenty of privacy and will also replace the green outlook that disappeared with the neighbour's old house..........

Murraya is really good as well
Fallen_Apple
In new estates those sort of rules rarely apply. It is more for established areas that obscure glazing and higher windows are required.

I'm not sure where you're from, but in Melbourne that's not true. Rescode applies to all new and altered buildings and certainly to new estates. High windows and obscure glazing are everywhere in my neighbourhood.
Thats definitely the downside of building
unfortunately you cant choose what they are going to build. Initally we were going to build 2 storey and when we said that to our neighbours they were NOT happy! Hopefully you can do something that will be a good screening for you!
Twiggy
When it's all said and done I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you're doing something to warrant peeping, most normal people don't sit by their windows watching what their neighbours are doing anyway

I agree.

It's threads like these that make me really glad we chose to rebuild on our current block rather than move. We have two great neighbours and the third side has been vacant for 3 or more years.

I don't know about the southern states but when I was a kid we had a gate in each fence to our neighbours' yards. When we put up a fence last year we left one panel of the palings off (replacing it with wire) so our kids can play together through the fence. We also put in a gate. Our kids' cubby overlooks their yard, while theirs overlooks ours.

The neighbour who will be most affected by privacy issues from our new double storey has been great about it. Whenever I chat to her she seems pleased about our build and told me she had no problem with privacy when I apologised to her that our house would overlook their patio area. We used to hear every word they said when they were out there before (and probably still will) so being able to see as well isn't really changing much. All part of living in suburbia IMHO.

We will plant screening trees as soon as we can. Our neighbours already have some good ones in place so ours will grow up to take over the screening job when theirs die back with age.
Unless your occupancy permit was issued before they got their building permit, then it meets Rescode. When their builder was applying for their building permit, they question would of been asked about existing houses/vacant blocks....even if your house was under construction at the time, obscure glazing and rescode windows wouldn't come into it.
Thanks to everyone who has responded...has given me lots of things to think of. I understand that's what happens when building in a new estate...just had my fingers crossed it wouldn't happen to me!!

The upstairs windows aren't obscure glass but it is their bathroom etc so I assume they will want the privacy too! I'm sure it will all look different once there is a fence between us... atm it just looks like a castle towering over the servants quarters!!
Hello

Im sorry you have had such an annoying and stressful start
I know this is an old post but I would really like to know hat you have done since to help the privacy of your block.

We are in desperate need of instant privacy from our neighbours to....too many issues and even having police involved...we NEED some help. :S

Hope all worked out.
Could you build some timber screens out of decking material and put it against the fence?

We are highset against our neighbour behind, they are a double storey as well, and we unfortunately look straight into their ensuite.
They are yet to move in, and it seems obscure glass is optional from their builder.
I am hoping they put window furnishings up ASAP when they do move in, I don't fancy seeing a naked man!
I often look out our bedroom window (which is a high window) as we have a great view of the golf course at the moment.
From their bathroom, they can then look down into our laundry... so must remember that when I am in my PJ's putting washing on, hanging out the washing, or feeding the cat!!
Related
1/11/2023
Ideas for Privacy Wall?

General Discussion

Hi guys We have just removed a very large grape vine which was mounted to a structure along this wall. This is a shared wall with our neighbour, and after removal, we…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum