Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Shelves in wardrobes

Page 1 of 1
It seems all builders are providing very basic shelves in wardrobes, no drawers even. So my questions is: did you ask the builder to fit in more shelves/drawers or you hired a wardrobe company to do the job after the hand over. Why?

If hire a wardrobe company later, should I ask the builder to delete all the shelves?

Thanks!
We had our meeting last week about the shelves. I asked for another bank of shelves as I didn't think one lot was enough. It cost an extra $350. I'd prefer to get everything in the house now rather than down the track as I'll probabley never get round to it.

Barb
594Jessica
It seems all builders are providing very basic shelves in wardrobes, no drawers even. So my questions is: did you ask the builder to fit in more shelves/drawers
no way jose ! they would have charged like a bull to a red flag

Quote:
or you hired a wardrobe company to do the job after the hand over. Why?
got teh exact configuration we wanted without the builder's ridiculous markup.

Quote:
If hire a wardrobe company later, should I ask the builder to delete all the shelves?
Absolutely. You need to remember that wardrobe companies use standard sized boards,etc.... so if you leave the shelf & hanging rails in the robes, the robe company will need to build around them & this will cost more.
Yep, we've asked the builder to just delete the shelf and rail. Then we'll get a company in to measure and build what we need in there.
I know it means another thing to do after handover but I think if we ask during the tiling, carpeting stage to bring in a guy to do all the measurements they would be able to pre-cut and make everything and then install pretty much the day after handover.

SK
We deleted the shelves from the contract and will get the shelves/drawers done after handover. The builder can add shelves too but as others have said they will charge a ridiculous mark-up.

If you also get the carpet done after handover it is best to get the shelves put in place first then lay the carpet. This way if you ever have to replace the carpet it is easy to do so (no cutting involved). Of course if you get your flooring done by the builder, you don't have choice.

DKP
Great, thanks! I will delete the shelves and rails then.

BTW, can anyone please pm me a waredrobe company in sydney does a decent job and charges reasonable $$$?
Our builder charged us $350 per wardrobe, except for master because it had two sets of draws $700, it may be worth at least making the inquiry through your builder first.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad92/barbs68/fit%20out/house286.jpg
Related
22/05/2023
Pantry Shelves

Kitchen Corner

Basically. If the shelves are fixed then they will be screwed in just the same as the rest of the carcass. To re move the screws you need to remove that section of…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum