Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Neighbour's driveway intrudes on my block

Page 1 of 1
I took a trip out to my block of land on the weekend and noticed that my neighbour's new concrete driveway meets the road about a metre and a half over my side of the boundary.

The block's outer suburban, so there's no guttering, and the nature strip area isn't well defined. I suppose my question is: should I be concerned? The only thing I think it can influence in the short term is the low stone fence I want to build across the front - it'll definitely overlap the new driveway.

But are there any resale or legal ramifications? Altering it would cost the neighbour a fortune (which I don't want to force on her). Let it go?

Addendum: just to clarify, the driveway is semi-circular, so only the last few metres on my side are in question.
I'd speak to them. They may not be aware.

Just mention it and put the ball in their court.

I wouldn't just let it be.
1.5 metres seems like a fair amount of overlap - you should definitely do something about it IMHO.

Maybe try calling your council and asking them about it; as far as I understand it the nature strip belongs to them anyway.

Good luck
Is your block pegged?
I would consider some kind of written agreement which makes it clear that you are letting her use the land, but the land is still yours. I would expect it to affect resale value, as you would have to tell any buyer about it, so you would have to accept that.

It also depends on how friendly your neighbour is. An act of generosity like this could lead to you become good neighbours. Or it could be seen as weakness. It really depends on her personality.
Is that almost half of their driveway? I'd be mentioning it to them at the least. Not sure how much it will affect any plans you might have but consider your frontage and how wide it is. Then what do you want to do about it?

We have two neighbours encroaching on our land and it's not a problem for us ATM but if we want to do anything near that boundary it becomes an issue due to setbacks etc.
Hmm I agree with the other posters I would mention it and definitely think carefully about whether it will affect your future plans for that space. Personally I would really want it removed, if you have proof from a surveyor that it definitely encroaches on your land. It's your land that you have to pay for and 1.5 m is not a small amount in my opinion! Plus there's the risk of a neighbour claiming adverse possession when boundaries are encroached upon -if you do a google search you'll find information on this.
Isn't there some type of council land between your block and the road? Or your block goes right to the road? The reason I ask is because if it's where the driveway meets the raod, that would generally be council land. We have no footpath out the front of our house and no defined front boundary, but our block actually stops 5 metres from the road. I thought there had to be some type of buffer.
I might be misunderstanding.
I think its a little weird they didnt check with you about the boundaries of your land. a simple question would of stopped you from having this headache. ID deff. ask them about it
You could probably deal with adverse possession by asking your neighbour to sign an agreement allowing them to use that land for free. That makes your ownership of the land clear. Assuming it is actually yours and not the council's.
In everyones interest get your neighbour to shift the driveway. It may be good (& easier) to be 'neighbourly' at the moment but down the track not taking the issue to a 'legal' resolution may come back to bite you.
joles
Isn't there some type of council land between your block and the road? Or your block goes right to the road? The reason I ask is because if it's where the driveway meets the raod, that would generally be council land. We have no footpath out the front of our house and no defined front boundary, but our block actually stops 5 metres from the road. I thought there had to be some type of buffer.
I might be misunderstanding.

Correct, even on land without a footpath, there is still usually a portion of the land that is 'council' owned. Indeed even if you do have a foot path this may not be built on the land boundary, some are built right next to the gutter.

When I had my place built I built my driveway to this boundary and the developer built the last 5 metres or so to the road. What is of interest is my place is on an inwards curve in the road, so the bulk of my drive is not parallel to the road. From my garage my drive goes in a straight line down the boundary to the end of my land, but on the government land (nature strip) it then kinks right a little so that it is then at 90' to the road. My neighbors does the same, which means their "kink" crosses towards my place. If you were to draw a straight line down my boundary to the road it would cross this part of their drive. However since it is on government land it isn't my land so no issue.

So to the OP does your road curve too or is it dead straight? Also have you worked out exactly where your land (really) ends?
The council usually has to sign off on crossovers/driveways before they are built. If they did and the placement is wrong it will be up to council to fix. If they didn't and the driveway was placed anyway then it is an illegal crossover and your neighbours or neighobours builders responsibility. Get it moved.
Related
30/04/2023
Gravel Driveway

Building A New House

Thanks TamFed!

2/05/2023
Concrete driveway: joint spacing

Paving & Concreting

Hi all I need a guidance on how far I need to space expansion joints in the concrete driveway and its type (keyway/foam.) Contraction joints are at 3m max for a 125 slab. Thanks

3/05/2023
No provision for a discharge point for the driveway

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi All, We have a fall from road to garage front. But we cannot put a drain/grate because no discharge point put by the builder. Now they complain not enough space for…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum