Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Question about telstra velocity

Page 1 of 1
We are building in a smart community that has telstra velocity. l know that we can only use telstra but l was wondering can you use the fibre optic cables for internet if you dont want to connect the land line phone?
no. you have to have a land line connected.
Your Free-to-air TV Signal also comes through Telstra Velocity Optic Fibre. You will receive digital TV directly without the need for a TV antenna.
janenguyen
We are building in a smart community that has telstra velocity. l know that we can only use telstra but l was wondering can you use the fibre optic cables for internet if you dont want to connect the land line phone?

From my understanding you can as your internet will not depend on whether you have a phone line or not as you get broadband through fibre optic. If it was ADSL/ASDL2/ADSL2+ then you need a phone line. Hope that clears up your doubts.
huntclubber
janenguyen

From my understanding you can as your internet will not depend on whether you have a phone line or not as you get broadband through fibre optic. If it was ADSL/ASDL2/ADSL2+ then you need a phone line. Hope that clears up your doubts.

Unless Telstra have had a policy change *insert stiffled laughter here*, then you must have a phone line connected in order to connect the internet in Velocity networks. Its not a technical need to support the internet, its Telstra "bundling".
Huggy_B
huntclubber
janenguyen

Unless Telstra have had a policy change *insert stiffled laughter here*, then you must have a phone line connected in order to connect the internet in Velocity networks. Its not a technical need to support the internet, its Telstra "bundling".

When I checked out their web site last night found that they do have plans with/without full service fixed phone line.

http://www.telstra.com.au/smartcommunit ... e-card.pdf
huntclubber

When I checked out their web site last night found that they do have plans with/without full service fixed phone line.

My dealings with Telstra have indicated that you must have a landline connected. So now I am confused as well? This was a few months ago though, so possibly it has changed??
Huggy_B
huntclubber

My dealings with Telstra have indicated that you must have a landline connected. So now I am confused as well? This was a few months ago though, so possibly it has changed??

Not sure when this was changed but when I started looking at smart community requirements about 2 months ago, they still had this pricing. So worth while checking out with them via phone.. also I heard that they will revisit their pricing for fibre optic so get it aligned with Cable
We just had ours connected and they would not do the internet without a land line being connected first. With you tv signal you will need a digital set top box.
Get use to being on the phone to smart communities they are not easy to deal with.
Cheers Lou
take2
We just had ours connected and they would not do the internet without a land line being connected first. With you tv signal you will need a digital set top box.
Get use to being on the phone to smart communities they are not easy to deal with.
Cheers Lou

oh really?.... that's not that good then though Telstra has different prices for with/without the land line in their web site.... Got a inbuilt digital tuner in my TV or set top box requirement won't apply for me
.. my wife works for Telstra so I'll let her deal with them when the time comes ...
huntclubber
take2
Cheers Lou

oh really?.... that's not that good then though Telstra has different prices for with/without the land line in their web site.... Got a inbuilt digital tuner in my TV or set top box requirement won't apply for me
.. my wife works for Telstra so I'll let her deal with them when the time comes ...

alright.. I read terms and conditions in Telstra and that is:

You can take up your phone service with some other provider (AAPT, Primus, Optus etc) who has an agreement with Telstra but if that's the case Telstra will not give you any credit that they give out to Telstra Smart community customers.. Best thing is to read Telstra terms and conditions and land developers terms and conditions.

For hunt club estate, we don't have to go with Telstra broadband but what that means it we'll only can go with mobile broand band or dialup with any other provider which is not ideal... so it will be Telstra broadband with huge bills...
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum