Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Builder claims costs for generator

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I need this great forum again.
My builder claims costs of 850$ for a generator required on site.
Reason was: "Due to unavailability of power on site"

If there was a power cut/unavailability caused by the energy supplier (BTW, who is it in Point Cook, does anybody have contact details?) can I reclaim these costs from them?
Before signing and excepting the invoice I want to request the exact reason, day and time of occurrence.
Is my builder supposed to let me know these details?
I wouldn't be surprised if power was unavailable due to vandalism (I have already graffiti on my windows) and I am wondering if in case of vandalism (I need to find out or hope to get the answer from the builder) that invoice is my responsibility?!

Any comments and advices are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Christian
Powercor is the Distributor, page 3 of the document has what they will and won't pay.......

Quote:
We (unless excused by the Essential Services Commission) will make a GSL payment
where the customer experiences:
• more than 20 hours of unplanned sustained interruptions in a year
($100) or more than 30 hours of unplanned sustained interruptions in a
year ($150) or more than 60 hours of unplanned sustained interruptions
in a year ($300);
• more than 10 unplanned sustained interruptions in a year ($100) or
more than 15 unplanned sustained interruptions in a year ($150) or
more than 30 unplanned sustained interruptions in a year ($300);
• more than 24 momentary interruptions in a year ($25) or more than 36
momentary interruptions in a year ($35)

http://www.powercor.com.au/docs/pdf/Ele ... Levels.pdf
http://www.powercor.com.au/docs/pdf/Cus ... harter.pdf
FrankWalker
Powercor is the Distributor, page 3 of the document has what they will and won't pay.......

Quote:
We (unless excused by the Essential Services Commission) will make a GSL payment
where the customer experiences:
• more than 20 hours of unplanned sustained interruptions in a year
($100) or more than 30 hours of unplanned sustained interruptions in a
year ($150) or more than 60 hours of unplanned sustained interruptions
in a year ($300);
• more than 10 unplanned sustained interruptions in a year ($100) or
more than 15 unplanned sustained interruptions in a year ($150) or
more than 30 unplanned sustained interruptions in a year ($300);
• more than 24 momentary interruptions in a year ($25) or more than 36
momentary interruptions in a year ($35)

http://www.powercor.com.au/docs/pdf/Ele ... Levels.pdf
http://www.powercor.com.au/docs/pdf/Cus ... harter.pdf

Thanks for that information. Do you know if they would send me anything confirming that there was a power cut/ or confirming there wasn't? If there was I believe I have to pay these 850$, if there wasn't I believe it was my builders problem (since it must have been local and I think it is their responsibility)?!

Any additional comments on that?

Cheers,

Christian
Hi,

When we built 18 months ago we also ended up paying for the cost of a generator for two weeks.
In our case the power was not available and could not be connected at that stage due to our stage not being connected to the power grid.
I believe PowerCor were responsible for connecting to grid, and so our local electricity provider of Origin Energy were unable to connect power to our property.
Are other homes in the stage connected to power?

In our case we offered to pay for a generator for two weeks so that works on our home could continue. Only a small generator was required in order to run a concrete mixer so they could start the brick work.

Michelle
as a tradie I'm getting more and more jobs that havn't had the meter installed yet so we can't use power from the site so we are forced to get power somehow... last time i checked that costs money (hiring a genie) and no offense .. we need to pass that cost on to someone and it isn't our fualt that there isn't any power on site esp for most trades that do 90% of their work on site work needing power of some kind. even a fully charged cordless drill won't last for more then half a day.

btw I'm not having a go at the op or anyone else just stating the facts.. I'm also aware that most people building are unaware of this situation on most sites
cwoern
Thanks for that information. Do you know if they would send me anything confirming that there was a power cut/ or confirming there wasn't? If there was I believe I have to pay these 850$, if there wasn't I believe it was my builders problem (since it must have been local and I think it is their responsibility)?!

Any additional comments on that?

Cheers,

Christian

Errrrrr. From memory of the website, it only list current outages they have a call centre they would be your best bet to find out what they can and can't tell you. They will have records of all outages you will need to know the date and time of the outage and you meter number. They can then confirm it. But I still don't think they have to pay you until the outage is greater than 20 hours

Frank
This cost should be factored in the same as stolen goods, which we all pay for even when nothing has been stolen. I often see generators on tradies vehicles, I now wonder whether they own them or have hired them. Surely they wouldn't own a generator and also charge you for the hire, and possibly claim the unit to the tax man, hmmmmm
Maybe theres a record of the units being tagged on site? This may indicate the days they were used??
Related
23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum