Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Point Cook anybody??????

Page 1 of 2
Hey has anyone on here built at Point Cook in Melbourne. If so are you happy, is the ground stable enough, what kind of class of slab would be required and why?

What is the demographic like better or worse than what you anticipatred?

Thanks Milt,
Expensive, small blocks, and mot many feader roads was my thoughs Milt.

I just bought in Tarneit, have better city access, bigger blocks for $15k less than point cook.

Adrian B
Thanks for the reply Adrian,

We ended up buying a block in Point Cook privatelly and saved a bundle in comparisson to buying from a land sales centre and got a much bigger block.

Whats it like out that way does it smell much during a hot stinking day in summer? In winter is very cold seeing as though the land is flat out there?

Milt,
Hi Milt

I dont live that way now, I do travel up and down the Geelong Fwy a fair bit, and find that it only really smells south of Werribee towards Little River.

Not sure about the rest.

Adrian B
Thanks for the response Adrian,

Much appreciated, are you planning to build anytime soon? If so are you building with a volume builder or individual builder?

Milt,
Hi Milt

I settle on my block in Tarneit next friday and am building with Metricon.Contracts are signed, permits are being lodged as we speak, hopefully slab by 30 June (Fingers crossed).

Have you decided who to build with yet?

Adrian B
No not yet, as we want to build to lockup and organise our own contracter / tradesman to compete the interior of the home. I'm investigating this option as we speak in terms of $$$ saved and quality of workmanship.

We may use a volume builder or Joe Blo for the building process, not sure yet?

A friend bult with them and found them to be ok, the only negative was it took them forever and many phone calls to come back and fix things, like doors locking properly etc.

I'd be interested to know how it all goes and what quality they deliver in the finished product. Best of luck.

Milt,
Hi Milt,

I am living in Pt Cook at the moment with my parents and have been for the last 5 years or so.

No smells that I can detect
You don't get the beachy smell from Altona or the smells from Werribee, which is great.

On windy days, expect doubly windy days! It is very flat and as you would know, there aren't many big trees to protect us. So I don't know about it being colder, just a lot windier.

I notice quite a difference in the demographic between Altona Meadows/Laverton and Pt Cook. Pt Cook residents tend to be a lot more younger families looking for lots of space for their kids to run around. You don't tend to get as many rough looking characters in Pt Cook. Not to say all of Altona Meadows/Laverton is like that though.

I would choose Pt Cook over a lot of other new housing estates around Melbourne, for it's proximity to the city (compared to a lot of others), and also the beach. However, the traffic congestion on Pt Cook rd drives me bananas. There are plans to do something about that by building new roads, I believe, but for the moment, it's quite unbarable.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions!

Cheers,

mel
Hi Milt,

We have a block of land in Point Cook and might commence building a few weeks from now.

We're currently renting in Altona Meadows, which is quite near to Point Cook. We decided to buy a block instead in Point Cook because of the nice community, easy access to the freeway, near to the beach and all amenities (schools, parks, etc.)

Mel is right, we don't have beachy smell in Point Cook, nor Altona Meadows.

Quote:
what kind of class of slab would be required

We had 3 soil tests before we settled with our builder now... and according to the soil test reports, we need class H slab. Average site cost range from $7,000 to $12,000 depending on the builder.
I grew up round there and those areas mentioned were just farms!!!!!
I used to go out to the RAAF base with dad and he'd let me drive it was such a back road then. There was nothing round for miles!
Mel_jade
Hi Milt,

I would choose Pt Cook over a lot of other new housing estates around Melbourne, for it's proximity to the city (compared to a lot of others), and also the beach.

I got a pic of me at Werribee South Beach and I have dirty knees from kneeling on the "beach"

I am used to white powdery northern Perth beaches. maybe move here
?
Hi Fu,

By beach, I definately meant Altona!

Mel
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. We are in the middle of having plans drawn up at the moment so things are starting to get interesting!

VJ which builder did you settle with? I'd have to agree Alton beach is one of the nicest beaches over this side of Melb.

Milt,
I think that you'll discover that Werribee doesn't smell and the idea that it does is an urban myth perpepuated by the media and those who like to look down on the area. We moved here about 8 years ago and find it less smelly than the seaweed or oil refineries in other areas.
I certainly wouldn't recommend Werribee South beach. Perhaps they will improve it one day. I am old enough to remember Altona beach before they trucked in huge amounts of sand and tidied it up. However, why bother with crappy suburban beaches - we are only an hour away from the beginning of the Surf Coast. Torquay, Barwon Heads, Anglesea, Ocean Grove etc are all within easy reach.
I grew up in Werribee, and the only time you could smell anything was in summer if a major change (storm) was about to come through. Any other time you wouldn't be able to notice anything.
There are sections of the Freeway around Little River that sometimes smell a bit but it's nowhere near housing.
I was thinking exactly what you just said Penjay - there is no way I'd swim anywhere in the bay. Head down to Torquay or Lorne anyday!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has lived in the Sanctuary Lakes area for a while as to if there has been movement in the houses. All of that land was salt planes and was filled to make the estate. It's been there for probably 10 years now, so it will be interesting to see.
The other land out that way (other side of Pt Cook Rd) was all vacant paddocks when I was growing up, and apart from now being almost totally built out, I think the soil is ok - maybe a bit rocky, but ok.

Ray.
Quote:
VJ which builder did you settle with? I'd have to agree Alton beach is one of the nicest beaches over this side of Melb.

Hi Milt,

We've signed up with M3con just recently.
Hoping to commence building before the year ends
Hello!

I moved into Point Cook on Saturday! And i love it. I couldn't beleive it when i went to Werribee Plaza and the place was empty and everyone is SO friendly. Nice change moving from Caulfield and frequenting Chadstone (though we will still be heading over there for our major shoppping expeditions!!)

It is very windy but it doesn't smell. The coles at sanctuary lakes is great and the access to the highway is easy, unless it's peak hour
i am sure that they will do something about that soon (fingers crossed!). Just finished building with M. 'interesting' experience but it woked out in the end.

Best of Luck!

Cat
Hi Catty, you are better off going to Highpoint than Chadstone - in fact now that you are a westie its your duty!!

I know Point Cook really well and have a few friends that live around there, it is really lovely.....the only warning I will give you is that if you are driving on the fwy towards the intersection where the ring road meets the princess hwy (near Fitzgerald road) wind up your windows - that part can get pretty smelly!
Hi Catty,

Congratulations on your move to your new house.. and Point Cook!
We're also building with M (might start 1st week of Dec) and anticipating quite long building time.
How was your hand over?
Can you share us your experience, as we are so interested to hear from M's customers?
Also, whereabouts are you in Pt. Cook? We're at Monterey Central, just across the new commercial centre being built along Dunnings and Boardwalk.

Rerob,
I agree that it's pretty smelly along Princess Hwy near Fitzgerald..
rerob1
the only warning I will give you is that if you are driving on the fwy towards the intersection where the ring road meets the princess hwy (near Fitzgerald road) wind up your windows - that part can get pretty smelly!

I believe it's a tannery.

Ray.
Related
3/05/2023
No provision for a discharge point for the driveway

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi All, We have a fall from road to garage front. But we cannot put a drain/grate because no discharge point put by the builder. Now they complain not enough space for…

18/08/2023
Sewer Inspection Point

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi, I have this sewer inspection point sitting in an odd spot in the rear of my yard: https://imgur.com/ghLI98q What I'd like to do is put a firepit in that corner of…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum