Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

quick question on studs/joists - structural or non structura

Page 1 of 1
hi
just a quick question

situation - wanting to put up walls in garage. will need wood frames for insulation and plasterboard.

i'll need treated pine for termite protection, but do i need structural or non structural pine?

other than the weight of insulation and plasterboard, they won't be load bearing (unless shelves count?)

thanks
You don't neccessarily need structural, however I would use structural...straighter and better quality...
wouldn't cost a lot more either.
And you may not need insulation either.
rubber_noggin
And you may not need insulation either.

whys that?
Typically the walls of a garage are not lined with insulation. Studies have shown negligible benefit gained by adding insulation to the internal walls (between garage and habitable rooms). There is sufficient air space contained within the garage itself to provide thermal insulation.
However, you are more than welcome to add insulation if you want too. It may make you feel better about it and the manufactures wouldn't mind either.
really?
thats definitely news to me
a single brick wall garage has sufficient insulation to not need anymore??

maybe i should specify that i wish to make the garage something of a 'games or man's room' to drink, play pool and hang out in to late in the morning

this is a quote taken from the insulation page of yourhome.gov.au

Quote:
Brick Veneer walls have the brick skin on the outside, which is not the ideal location for thermal mass. The bricks heat up in summer and radiate heat late into the evening, while in winter they stay cold and absorb heat from the house. Insulation is essential to protect the occupants from external temperature extremes that are exacerbated by the external brick skin.
I think there are some crossed messages regarding insulation here. You do not necessarily to insulate the garage as this room is not considered habitable, the air mass in the garage and the walls surrounding the garage offer effective insulation to the next layer of the house, therefore it may not be necessary to insulate the walls between the garage and the rest of the house. If you are converting the garage to a habitable room or even a blokes room, I would definitely suggest insulation, otherwise you will need to drink more beer in winter to stay warm there.
Related
22/06/2023
Joists under shower tray

General Discussion

Hi All, about to commence a bathroom renovation and need some advice on subfloor works. Current subfloor is hardwood T&G floorboards on 90x45 joists, but intention is to…

14/08/2023
Concerns about strengh of Engineering Floor Joists

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for all replies. I just noticed now the pictures I added to post right on top of page were wrong. I attached pictures showing "current" and my "suggested" floor…

14/01/2024
Framing on floor joists

Renovation + Home Improvement

Houses have been framed on floor joists since settlement, chipboard flooring is only around for 50 years or so, so why would it not be satisfactory? However exercise skill…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum