Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Installing a bar in a living room - is it ok??

Page 1 of 1
We have just bought our dream home that has a large L shaped living/dining room.. At one end of the living space we have the 32" LCD and entertainment system, couches etc..

At the other end there is nothing but a small wall framing the front entrance.. I thought this would be a perfect space to install a little bar - but the wife is not convinced..

Does anyone have any suggestions/photos of how I could install a small bar (ie - straight bar, L shaped etc)??

I will try and post some photos of the living area soon to give a better understanding of the space..
Why not, My old living room was in a L shape and i built a bar in the corner (i say old because its a theatre now, but the bar still exists), if you like I can take some pictures tonight.

Problem is its near the front door so cops all the junkmail etc as you walk in the door.

Its pritty small, but serves its purpose, and also its made out of timber, so deconstruction would only take me 5 minutes. I can also move it around by lifting it.
memphis

Its pritty small, but serves its purpose, and also its made out of timber, so deconstruction would only take me 5 minutes. I can also move it around by lifting it.

This sounds like what I am after.. Photos would be much appreciated.. If I can show my wife that it wouldn't be too obtrusive I might just get the go ahead
dont forget to install Trevor Marmalade behind it....
Ebay will have something.....

Example http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-Piece-Modular-Bar_W0QQitemZ220146689970QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20485QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
McReidy
- but the wife is not convinced..

I am with your wife.....I don't mind bars if they are in a dedicated sportsroom or alfresco area etc.....but am definately not a fan of the 'stuck in a corner' of the lounge bar. Unless it looks like this

Here's a pic showing it in the back of the lounge with some doors seperating it....

Sorry
That didn't help much did it.
Rellie…..is this your room? Very nice!!!
Love your wall colour facing out to the garden!

I personally am not a fan of bars in rooms…..very yobo….no offence everyone!!!

BUT, how you have yours is very tastefully done! Most impressed with your room, but you need a rug under your coffee table…..sorry! It will complete the room beautifully!

This lounge room of yours has a really cosy look and feel to it….well done!
It's not my house Michelle......I wish

It was for sale recently in our area and I really liked what they had done.
The key to the issue is here is not having a bar that sticks out like a bar, and that suits the style design and mood of the living room.

OK let me explain.

Some of the bars you can by, as mentioned, can be large, and a great feature in a suitable room.

If you want to go the lounge option, look at your furniture and see if you can find or build somehting that will match it, or blend in. You may need to move your fiuriture around a bit.

The other option s to go portable bars such as HERE. or perhaps both.

You could have a wine storage unit that is a feature on its own, but smallish in size, then role out the portable bar for those occasions
Ohhh disappointment! I bet you liked it…. I like it!

But the bar area is perfect, this how a proper bar should be done.
Nothing looks worse than a BRICK bar shoved in a spare space.

McReidy, maybe there is another space you could put your bar? Post a photo and we can have look for you to see what it will look like. And how it can be done tastefully.
Naah - When you want be in a bar - go to the pub.

At home - do it casual - drinks on a tasteful drinks trolley is much nicer.
Personally having my friends standing on the other side of their personal bar is too impersonal and distancing.
A drinks trolley sitting in the hallway or corner with a few decanters on it and you can walk to it - or roll it over to the lounge to serve your guests.
My place had a bar upstairs when I bought it - I told the agent I didn' care about it - so guess what - when I took ownership - the bar was on the ground - after they had dropped it over the 5 metre high verandah.

OK - So I still have some of the barbits (as opposed to the barbituates

And at least I didn't have to get it downstairs somehow

Steve
(((the bar was on the ground - after they had dropped it over the 5 metre high verandah.)))
Who needs a bar. I can drink in every room of the house now, if there is a bar I'll have to drink around it.
If you had to have one the ones rellie put up where nice.

Your house sound nice and open though. Sorry I could not help you anymore, I have to stick up for your wife on this one as my husband is after one too.
Good luck though
Thanks for all the comments..

Here are a couple of pics of the area I was thinking about putting a bar - pretty much behind the "half wall" in the entrance - where the white rug and cat are
- it will obviously have to be quite small..

Sorry they are so big - not sure how to scale them here but you get teh idea anyway.. Any comments/suggestions welcomed

What will you do with the cat??
Audio Visual Dreams
What will you do with the cat??

Hehe.. Everyone needs a bartender don't they???
((((What will you do with the cat??)))

The cats gorgeous!!!

I thought it was funny how it was watching the broom!!

I will take a look at this when I get home, but off the top of my head I think a modern cocktail cabinet will be much better suited for the tight space you have.
Yep - go with a mobile drinks trolley - then you can move it out to where you want it etc.
Related
14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

22/01/2024
What are the plugs in the living room for?

General Discussion

1 is free to air and the other 2 are for cable TV all of them completely useless in 2024 >

22/02/2024
Living room help

Interior Decorating Lounge

Can anyone help with the layout of my living room, it seems that no matter what I do it never looks right. I have an awquard kind of l shape with 2 doors, bay window and…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum