Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

timber vs Steel Roof truss

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Are there any differences to using timber trusses in a roof over steel ones? ie noise??
Briefly, the major differences are

Steel provides inherant protection from Termites (white ants). That said, Termites feast on glucose compounds which can be found in plaser, kitchen & other cabinetry and elsewhere. You still need protective barriers in termite prone areas.
Steel is more expensive
Steel is labour intensive compared to Timber and therefore trade costs are also greater.
Timber sourced ethiclly (98% in Aust. is) is a renewable resource. Steel is also often a renewable resource however energy consumptrion in manufacture is many many times greater than that of timber.
Steel is much more thermally condductive so you need better insulation for a Steel home to perform the same as a timber framed home.
Steel framed homes are susceptable to corrosion and especially in coastal areas. special consideration should be taken. Connection plates, nails & metal bracing components too should be carefully considered and experienced trades should be used.
Steel is a stronger product however all homes need to be built to Australian Standards. Timber is more than sufficient when engineered to design.

It really comes down to preference. 90% of homes in Aust. are built with timber due to cost however if steel were the same price or cheaper, it would likely be used considerably more often.
Sorry, forgot to add noise. Most noise in a home is caused by flooring joists. Timber or steel in a roof or wall (if constructed properly) will not cause noise. Floor insulation will reduce noise in floors.
Related
17/10/2023
Warped/damaged roof truss?

General Discussion

It's hard to comment as the photos area bit dark ( you might need a new 15 - just got one and wow > ) Jokes aside, I can see one member that is cracked. I would find a…

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum