Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Telstra Phone Connection Problems - HELP

Page 1 of 1
Wasn't sure where this thread belonged, so apologies if it's in the wrong category.

I had Telstra scheduled for a reconnection of the phone service on a property I just bought. I was assured that as the property had a previous phone account connection would be done "at the switch" at a cost of $59..

I received a call this morning from Telstra saying they had to send a tech out becasue the lines are to old to just reconnect "at the switch"..

The CSR couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me any more than that - couldn't even tell me how much it would cost..

I looked up on the Telstra website and looks like I could be up for charges up to $300..

This just doesn't seem right to me as they were able to disconnect the service "at the switch"..

Any thoughts on this, and is there anything else I can do???
McReidy,

To me this is a clear one. You should only pay $59, regardless of the condition of the line. Then if the line is of poor quality that is part of Telstra's maintence obligation.

Telstra may argue that they have not been paid maintenance (that is, line rental) for a while and therefore nature has taken over and destroyed the line. This argument would only hold water if the line has been inactive for over a year.

Cheers,
Casa
How long since the last phone was connected there?

If the line was not connected for along time they may have re-alloctaed the lines at the pit to another house, and now have to re-connect them. Hence the extra charges.

I recently had a phone put onto a place and it cost me the $60 and it was near on 12 months since a line had been connected. But it depends on the demand for lines in the area if they have to - reconnect the line in the pit.

Ask for the supervisor to explain it you - if your not getting the answers you like - hang up ring back and you often get a more helpful person next time

Steve
McReidy

I received a call this morning from Telstra saying they had to send a tech out becasue the lines are to old to just reconnect "at the switch"..

This should not be your problem. There will be a handoff point or line of demarcation somewhere, usually either the first connection, or the property boundary ins ome cases. If the cannot repatch at the switch, I would be pushing that it is their issue at the switch and not yours.
Fight it - you have nothing to lose. Casa is on the money: shouldn't be your problem if their lines are rooted.
Casa2
McReidy,

To me this is a clear one. You should only pay $59, regardless of the condition of the line. Then if the line is of poor quality that is part of Telstra's maintence obligation.

Exactly!
THis is the reason Telstra keep saying they have to charge their competitors so much - cause they spend all this money on line maintenance. What a bunch of scum bags! Fight it all the way!
What suburb and exchange is it McReidy?
Yak_Chat
What suburb and exchange is it McReidy?

Suburb is Ridgehaven, SA and is on the Modbury exchange..
I would have expected that line quality wise Modbury would be OK.

I'd push them and as I said earlier - hang up till you start talking to the right person who is prepared to listen and act on your behalf.
Steve
Related
10/04/2024
Build experience - Trend Connection Homes

Building A New House

How has your experience been like so far?

22/12/2023
Water main connection

Building A New House

Hi all I'm currently building a duplex in Sydney and we need to do a new water connection to the second unit. The water main is on the other side of the road so we need…

16/12/2023
Brick Problems - Acid Burn?

Building A New House

I am not a brick expert, but rendering would be 1 option, it would be costly to do the entire house though....

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum