Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Does your house have a name?

Page 1 of 1
Do any of you have a name for your house, as a lot of older homes used to? Thought it might be interesting to see what names people have given their homes, and why?
Eimaj
We do call our current rental "the ****box"

does your house have a name?

I dont think we'll give the new one a name either.....

Very good Vanderlay!
No, we don't have name yet, but a lot in our area do (Twin Oaks, The Elms, Rosehill)
Eimaj
how about "dream weaver"
How about the traditional "emohruo"
, or as in the movie, "The money pit".
Not yet, our previous house was called "Cherrybrook Grove". We named it because the builder supplied a plaque to put out the front and so we figured that we should come up with something. We had a river through the garden (brook) and lots of cherry trees lining the driveway.

I think it is a nice idea to name a house as it seems to give it a personality. It was also very nice to have a title for the house when selling it.

Now what to call our new place in The Patch. We have a Walnut tree, some tree ferns, I plan of putting in an artificial stream, waterfall and pond, we are on a mountain, we are surrounded by trees and in a forest oh and we also have a nice cedar tree. Must be a name in there somewhere.
Yep I've named a few houses.
It does give them a bit of character but I feel it also has to be the right sort of place to be worthy of a name or it looks out of place. ie tacky.
My current house might be named "Sun Kosi" once I've finished it.
Why well -it's a very special river in Nepal "the river of gold" and also fits in with my "Solar" design principles that I'm implementing - ie Sun and Cosy"

Cheers
Steve
3timesbuilda
Now what to call our new place in The Patch. We have a Walnut tree, some tree ferns, I plan of putting in an artificial stream, waterfall and pond, we are on a mountain, we are surrounded by trees and in a forest oh and we also have a nice cedar tree. Must be a name in there somewhere.

"Highfernynutwatertreepatch"
vanderlay
3timesbuilda

It's got a ring to it...
vanderlay
3timesbuilda

I can see why you choose not to name your house.

Perhaps you should be calling your place The Ranch. No that is just a baaaaaad idea.
3timesbuilda
vanderlay
3timesbuilda

I can see why you choose not to name your house.

Perhaps you should be calling your place The Ranch. No that is just a baaaaaad idea.

I was feeling proud about posting a new thread of pics without one sheep joke.........and here it is!

(Cookiemonster must not have seen it yet)
Cookiemonster
vanderlay
3timesbuilda

It's got a ring to it...

Yeah, it does sound a bit like someone gagging - got a noose anyone?
3timesbuilda
Cookiemonster
vanderlay
3timesbuilda

It's got a ring to it...

Yeah, it does sound a bit like someone gagging - got a noose anyone?

I never said it was a good ring.
Vanderlay could name his house THE ABATTOIR.
Maybe some blood drips off the sign.. and a pile of wool on the door step. Brilliant!
Hey cookie monster, perhaps you can call yours "The Cookie Jar". mmmm cookies.
I'll put it on the list.
I was thinking of calling my new house, "home" but then again I was never creative
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum