Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Help with wall indentation features! What's it called!?!?

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

We're almost at plaster stage and would like to do some interesting features with the plaster by indenting it in some some parts of the wall and placing halogen lights. I've seen it done in display homes where they place in plaques or vases in the indents - it's a really nice touch!

Only thing is I want to do more research on it - does ANYONE know the correct terminology so I know what I'm searching?

Anyone have any interesting ideas or inspiration???
niches?
alcove?
Recess?
Picture recess
Our builder calls them feature niches.

We have a few - think about where you'd like them and what you plan to put in them so you get the dimensions and placement right. The lights are good to highlight a beautiful object, but some work well without lights too.

This one's at the entrance to our kitchen. It has glass shelves and a downlight in the top:

Kids' bathroom, no lights:

Ensuite (reflected in the mirror) with glass shelves and ight again:

Ours are all in different rooms and are different sizes, but I've seen some fantastic pairs or rows of niches in living rooms or entrances. I'm still thinking about what to put in ours, mind you ....I know the kind of things I want, just haven't found them yet.
WoW guys thanks that's been really helpful! Now I actually get good GOOGLE results, rather than searching 'wall indents' lol

kek I really love your bathroom tiles, what colour are they if you don't mind me drawing some inspiration from you????
Kek could you please tell me the dimensions of your kids' bathroom niche? I love the proportions!!
OMG kek, what is the wall colour on those pics please, it's beaut
(please somebody send me a pretty drooling emoticon
)
I hope it's not just the camera and the monitor ...
I'm planning to repaint certain (formal) rooms in something like that after h/over.
lamoos25
kek I really love your bathroom tiles, what colour are they if you don't mind me drawing some inspiration from you????

Not sure which tiles you mean
...they're all from National Tiles - the main ones on floor, shower walls and bath hob are Kimberley Smoke, the feature tiles on the splashbacks I really can't remember now.
The pale green ones in the kids' bathroom are glass though, a bit exxy but not a big deal if you're only using a small amount.

mb@147a
Kek could you please tell me the dimensions of your kids' bathroom niche? I love the proportions!!

I just looked it up and it's 300mm high x 1500mm wide x 180mm deep. You could tile it, but we chose not to. I had to make it clear to my youngest that it wasn't for the display of Lego men, Star Wars figurines or whatever else he chose to play with in the bath...

Lex
OMG kek, what is the wall colour on those pics please, it's beaut
(please somebody send me a pretty drooling emoticon
)
I hope it's not just the camera and the monitor ...
I'm planning to repaint certain (formal) rooms in something like that after h/over.

OK...bathrooms are Wattyl Fortune, and the kitchen is Wattyl Castilian. The Castilian looks darker and a bit purpley in the pic, but it's really not... It's a dark beige with a slight greenish hue.
That sounds disgusting.
OK, so it's the bathroom colour then that I love
kek
I just looked it up and it's 300mm high x 1500mm wide x 180mm deep. You could tile it, but we chose not to. I had to make it clear to my youngest that it wasn't for the display of Lego men, Star Wars figurines or whatever else he chose to play with in the bath...

Thank you!! Yes, I can see a lot of My Little Ponies & Bionicles in ours
Related
22/01/2024
What is this called?

General Discussion

It's a very unusual way of finishing a barge board. I'd say it was done by a handyman rather than a carpenter as there would normally be the barge and a scribe and no…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

18/02/2024
Retaining wall not built to specifications, PC help

General Discussion

Thanks for your reply! All valid points and I agree with you on many of them. I am in QLD, any recommendations on a construction lawyer would be helpful

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum