Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Street Directory Updates

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows when google maps, google earth and online ausway etc up date their directory. Our street was completed last year and there are people living in the same estate but when we do a search we cannot find out street.

We went on to where is and we can see the outline of our estate but it doesn't show the names of the streets

Will it be updated anytime soon?
our stage streeet/ stage was completed over a year ago and our street name doesn't appear. The street is greyed like you have. I noticed recently (last month) that once we moved in I could search for the address and it would find it. Its still not on my TomTom maps which makes it hard for people to find us.

I beleive that the mapping companies have to confirm the details of the street (ie. GPS coordinates) before they will publish it properly.
If you use Google Maps, have a look at "Near Map" too. http://www.nearmap.com/

They update more often, and you have the ability to see when it was last updated and switch back and forth between images from different dates. Only downside is...it only covers major metro areas.
PieMan
our stage streeet/ stage was completed over a year ago and our street name doesn't appear. The street is greyed like you have. I noticed recently (last month) that once we moved in I could search for the address and it would find it. Its still not on my TomTom maps which makes it hard for people to find us.

I beleive that the mapping companies have to confirm the details of the street (ie. GPS coordinates) before they will publish it properly.

I know what you mean about it being hard for people to find our property. Because its not available in the street directory I have to constantly say"You go down this hwy, then up this street and then you turn right down this street, etc"
Arrggg
deletedpenguin
If you use Google Maps, have a look at "Near Map" too. http://www.nearmap.com/

They update more often, and you have the ability to see when it was last updated and switch back and forth between images from different dates. Only downside is...it only covers major metro areas.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried but no luck
Google updates "aims" to update Google maps with recent imagery every three years. This is not always the case and some areas can be 3-5 even 8 years in some instances. Images are purchased from NASA and the military. That's for the satellite view anyway. Unsure about the rest.

I rarely use Google maps because it's so old. Street-directory.com.au is updated very regularly from government sources.
oze
I rarely use Google maps because it's so old. Street-directory.com.au is updated very regularly from government sources.

Thanks oze!!!! I found my street on the internet!!!
You made my day lol
Our estate has been in existence for at least four years and yet Google and whatever maps the GPS services use can't find most of the streets.

The good old Melways manages to keep ahead of developments though. Given the long lead times for printing something like a street directory, I'd say it's pretty poor performance from the online services, who should be able to do regular updates very easily.
Google uses a local (Sydney based, from memory) supplier for their road name data. When I was laid up in bed recently, I found the contact information for that company, and you can send them updated information, for example, road names for the roads that appear gray.

I'll try and find the name of the firm again, but googling something like 'google map update correction' started me in the correct direction.
The company that supplies the data to Google maps is MapData Sciences (http://mapds.com.au/AboutMDS/Contactus/ ... fault.aspx). I wrote to them a little while ago to let them know that our street name is wrong on Google Maps. Their reply was:

"We will verify this information and update our mapping data for WA as required. Please note that we do provide data updates to our clients (including Google) but are unable to control the speed at which they update their systems."

That was in December, Google Maps still hasn't updated it, but its now correct on TomTom.
I know what you mean about streets not showing up. The australia post parcel express people got a bit lost trying to find us last year. But our local postie hasn't ever had a problem. We've had quite a number of things delivered and trades people coming and so far only one was able to find us on their own. The rac man couldn't find us when hubby's car wouldn't start. He refused to call us to check for directions and drove around for extra time to 'just see if he could find it" hmm just as well Dh wasn't in too big a hurry at the time.

As for street names
I had problems trying to get the phone connected and the power etc because they all had the street named incorrectly on their data bases which they told me came from the land titles office. Hmm well the developer named it one thing and that was what was on the official title deed but the first set of street signs said something else and that was what telstra claimed was the correct name. . I complained to the shire and they eventually fixed them up.
Our problem is a truck knocked over our street sign - so no-one can find us
Our road first went through in 1840, so that's 170 years ago. Tom Tom listed it mid last year.
indi
Our road first went through in 1840, so that's 170 years ago. Tom Tom listed it mid last year.

OMG!!! Thats shocking... I hope the same thing doesn't happen to us
JJ305
oze

Thanks oze!!!! I found my street on the internet!!!
You made my day lol

Glad to have helped

indi

OMG! Talk about delays in getting things updated.
Related
3/12/2023
Recommendations for quick and cheap updates for the exterior

Renovation + Home Improvement

1. Roof cleaning and paint - which colour do you recommend? I often see black/ dark grey in use these days but I would prefer…

5/01/2024
Electric gate for s Street front villa

General Discussion

Hi all. I'm thinking of installing an electric gate in front of this street front villa (link below). The gate would be between the bush on the left and the letter box on…

8/04/2024
Is this too low vs Cross Over/Street Level?

Building A New House

Thanks! I'm spoke to the builder I'm not sure if this is all true but basically went along the lines of they considered all options and if I was to compact and fill it…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum