Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Living in Doreen/ Mernda

Page 1 of 5
hi,

Really want to have some vent here. We build our new house in doreen and lived there for 2 months. Before we lived in eltham

When our friends know we buy land and build a house, their responses are " Doreen? That's very far away." They live in doncaster, bulleen.

After moving in, i wish our sisters in law can come and gather and I'll glad if they stay the night here, though many areas inside the house and outside still need working. However, their replies are " This is so far away." They did come once, but just hurry to leave. They live near hoppers crossing.

Even my husband now thinks the trip to work is very tiring. He works near carlton, mostly by train. He will drive to greensborough, heidelberg station and then take the train.
I think epping should be a better station, but he hasn't tried that yet.

Given so many friends saying this is remote and sisters in law suggested him to move to the west/ sth closer to city. I really am not happy and worried.

I love this new home not only because it is new, something i modified to suit our case, but also cos i love the environment, neighbourhood. I found myself much happier after living in here. Most importantly, land here is much cheaper than the city. Though at the moment we don't have kids, I still prefer living here than sth closer to city.

The biggest obstacle is solving husband's trip to work. How do others go to work? It seems several of my neighbours work just 10-15 minutes drive to work. Unfortunately not my husband's case.
Hey Nottie,

we're not out there yet... BUT we do drive out there everyday. First things first... dont listen to a word your family says about the location. That's their problem. One of them lives in Hoppers Crossing?? And they're having a go at your for living in Doreen?
Oh dont get me started on the western suburbs... I'm a bit of a western suburbs snob! Not to say that there aren't some lovely estates out there...

As you know Aaron drives all over the city, it's part of his job. For me, once we move out there, it'll be a 30-45 min drive to work for me, but I dont mind at all.
I wouldn't worry about what your family/friends think too much!! Most of my friends (and all my family) live over two hours from me!!

As long as you and your husband are happy living there, then thats really all that matters
Nott, while it isn't really far from Eltham/Greensborough/Bundoora, the extra bit of distance is a real PITA. The roads are inadequate for the amount of traffic and as for the number of traffic lights now on Plenty Rd....don't get me started!
My husband also works in the city and gets there by train or bike and he's finding the travel very, very tedious. I drive to Moonee Ponds three days a week and the difference moving 6kms has made is unbelieveable. And not in a good way.

That said, it's the ONLY downside to living here - other than not being within walking distance to anything any more, but that's kind of the same thing. We knew this would be the case when we made the choice to live here, and after we weighed up the pros and cons, decided it was worthwhile. We never could have built this house in our old suburb, land prices were stupidly high, so it was a trade-off.

Epping station is a bit difficult to get to - there isn't a good route at all - and the parking is horribly inadequate, so unless you're there super-early, you can't park. That side of things will imrove in 2-3 years time when the new station opens opposite Westfield, and will be even better once the line extends to Mernda (I think that's scheduled for 2017 or something...).

Meanwhile we just have to suck it up.

Your sisters-in-law are being a bit unreasonable - it's not like you moved to the country....
meh....ten years ago when we first bought in Point Cook people would say that was near Geelong...don't worry about it...if family finds it "too far away"...count your blessings...
hi erin,

thanks for ur reply

yes, they live near hoppers crossing, they move there cos it's near their workplace ( takes 10 mins drive).

Sometimes I don't why their ideas are so " funny" ( or weird ?) Like suggesting us to buy a house close to city, like Balwyn, Kew
9 ( are we becoming that affluent?!) Their pt is when husband retired, the hse price could be gd to sell and then could move to a remote place and used the funds left as retirement. However, the place at those places are so incredible and how about mortgage!? also at that time, at 60's moving home again?!

At the same time, their requisites for the house are " amazing", not opposite the powerline, not walking distance to pubs, shops, shopping centres, schs, train stations. The house can't have v weary kitchen... Do u think such places Exist without a Big price tag???

Before we look at land in doreen, we have been to a few house inspections. However, i know this is useless just cos husband's mindset for the " ideal house".

I do admire u can visit ur site very often b4 the built and during construction. U know I've been banned many times to visit my block--my husband said it is v far. Well, eltham to doreen is much nearer than a lot of forumers who drove 45 minutes to their block. THis, simply, an excuse.

Maybe all rooted as my husband doesn't want change.

There has been many many changes and improvement in doreen and mernda areas. More roads built, public transport extended hours and service, facilities improving every day.
It is really amazing to witness the change.
Those who love you will come, Nott. I have had friends make comments like that to me too, although some of those who commented are now riding the train of hypocrisy and have bought land in Mernda/Doreen too!
I think once they actually looked into the price of a house in Ivanhoe vs building in Doreen, they were forced to dislodge the silver spoons from their mouths and be more realistic.

If you're happy there, that's the main thing. Stuff the others. Like you said, Nott, the travel options have to improve the more the area develops.
Kek,

Maybe i'm not the one who travels to work, I'm quite biased.
What u said is roughly what my husband said.
He always complained the poor train service, both crowded, stuff, unreliable timetable..
Yes, he always complain traffic conjestion is a big problem.
I agree with what u said, this is the con of living in doreen and mernda at the moment. When everything has been developed and established, the price will have a sharp raise.
Yes, i think they DO treat us as living at country. ( yes, we can see horses,cows, sheeps, kangaroos...)

To do list:
u know . SiLs have asked why we didn't buy land at point cook b4!? Yes, we just visited the wonderful shopping centre a month ago, but i suppose u don't get that 10 yrs ago, right?!

Suddenly i think maybe i should ask a realestate to talk to my husband, to make him be REALISTIC.
Nott
To do list:
u know . SiLs have asked why we didn't buy land at point cook b4!? Yes, we just visited the wonderful shopping centre a month ago, but i suppose u don't get that 10 yrs ago, right?!

Nope...you had to have a bit of trust that acres of thistle bushes would become what it is now...
I work in Richmond and drive everyday and I don't mind the drive really, I find it mostly relaxing and a bit of a wind down before getting home. I also leave home at 6:20am and am at work by 7am as it helps to avoid the traffic.

It's a shame that your family are saying those things, maybe they are actually jealous of you and where you are cos it's such a wonderful area (I may be biased
)
Cheer up we are getting the South Morang station sooooonn............
Hi All,

My first post/reply... this is exciting!

Everywhere in Melbourne is at least 1/2 an hour from everywhere else. Tell em to stick it!
Doreen to Victoria St on a Saturday night: 30-35mins = perfect!

Doreen is definitely a great investment for right now. Have you seen how far out the estates have spread in the South? We have friends building in Clyde and that is a lot further.... granted they have a fairly major freeway to most of it... but in future so will we, and I think Doreen will be far more sort after and your hubby will have a much nicer return on his investment.

Also relatives having to call and give notice before they arrive for a visit is a big plus
AndynAdam
Doreen is definitely a great investment for right now. Have you seen how far out the estates have spread in the South?

Excellent point! Some of those suburbs are 40-50km from the CBD.
We're approx 26km out, and yet somehow people think we live in the sticks.
I don't get it.... Exactly who are the hillbillies?

Anyway, there are no hillbillies out here because - no (real) hills between Bundoora and Whittlesea. So that would make us.... er.....flatbillies?
We're moving into Mernda and its about 15 mins where we are now. We couldn't afford to upgrade where we were and besides I just love Mernda. My grandmother is freaking out and so is my DH a bit, but hell I grew up in the Greensborough area and 35 years ago that was complete and utter bushland - now it's full on suburbia!

Roads etc will get better in a few years when it becomes more populated, and when shops start springing up close by. Hell even Bundoora was farmland 30 years ago!!

It's only 25 something km's from the city and easy access to the Western Ring Road etc which is much better than some of those poor SE people trying to get into town. I go straight up Plenty Road and am in town within the hour by car, which I find cathartic!

Traveling is tedious, but it's a problem all over outer Melbourne at the moment.

SIL - none of their business. Seriously....
Hey Nott,

We are also building in Doreen and we have gotten the comments of "Why would you want to live out there thats the bush!!"........ The funny thing about that is that those comments were made by friends that live in Pakenham and Toora (Sth Gippsland!!!!)
so who are they to comment?????

The drive down Yan Yean Rd through Yarrambat is the best way to wind down after a stressfull day at work you just feel the stress melt away as you drive!

That you love it that is all that matters, About the family Hey if they dont like the drive just dont come over!!!!! that is a blissful solution in my opinion

I believe that friends are family but better ......... because they are family you actually WANT to see so dont let your SiLs comments worry you, Doreen ROCKS!!!!
hi all,

It's a bit surprise to hear some of ur friends have the same comments as ours.

For the Mernda train station, I guess it probably won't happen till 2027. However, just hope the South Morang station could complete earlier.

Not too bad thing is the Plenty valley westfield was updated and expanded, hope the greensborough one can start v soon. It has been postponed for nearly 1 yr ?

Anyway knows where is the nearest indoor swimming pool to us? Thanks v much.
Hey Fitzy,

Just saw u're building in the Maples. It is really a good spot. Do u know a member here is owner building his house there??

When will urs complete?
nott
Nott
Not too bad thing is the Plenty valley westfield was updated and expanded, hope the greensborough one can start v soon. It has been postponed for nearly 1 yr ?

Anyway knows where is the nearest indoor swimming pool to us? Thanks v much.

It'll be even better when they get the cinemas in there
And a few more shops like Myer.... Then there'll be no reason to leave town- ever.

There's an indoor pool at the Mill Park YMCA... Morang Drive, not far.
I'm wrestling with these thoughts myself... While I grew up in Eltham I've lived in the inner city since I was 18. I've spent the last 6 year in the Docklands which I loved. I had a fantastic social network within the complex and miss it terribly.

The conclusion I've come to is that while Mernda might be so much further from the city than I was used to - it doesn't have to dictate the social life you have. You can form another social circle (in an area like Mernda/Doreen this should be so much more simple as nearly everyone is in the same boat). The commute to work might be painful - but there are advantages that you're able to have a house you love and can afford.
Nott
Hey Fitzy,

Just saw u're building in the Maples. It is really a good spot. Do u know a member here is owner building his house there??

When will urs complete?
nott

Yes Jbdave is building his own home in The Maples he is very nice and his home is looking awesome.

We have been told that our official start will be in the next week or so..........I wont hold my breath just incase!!!! But we have been told that all going well we should be in by September, I will start my own thread once we start so that other Doreeniens can see where we are at with our journey.
Related
24/09/2023
Affordable Living Homes want more $$

Building A New House

I would be wary. Is you site demilished but nothing else done? Sounds like liquidity problems to me. Our builder did the same. Got hundreds of thousands of dollars of…

25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

15/11/2023
Kitchen living Dining

General Discussion

Can anyone suggest a house layout where the kitchen-dining - living runs the length across the rear of the house left to right where our best view will be we…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum