Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

City of Cockburn, WA - Site Coverage

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

First up - this isn't a stab at the council or our builder. I understand they're both trying to just do their job.

We've a bit of a situation whereby we signed our contact in August to build in Aubin Gardens. Finance went through, contracts signed and then submitted to council. Bonza! We're on our way I thought.

Two months.. not much happened. Last week council picked up our plans and went back to the builder for further information. Apparently there's an issue with site coverage, although to the best of my (and the builder's knowledge) we've adhered to the covenants and R codes. A week later and they're still going back and fourth.

Has anybody had any similar issues? Having signed in September we were *hoping* to get the slab down before Christmas. Alas, this hope is fading quickly. Unfortunately it now appears as though we'll be exposed to a price hike, as the 90 day mark is creeping up very quickly.

Jas
Sorry guys, this should've been in the 'building a new house' area!
You had me at "Cockburn"
I know, quite unfortunate really!

Pronounced 'co-burn', btw
definitely not unusual, but if you comply with all the relevant R codes and covenants, you should have nothing to worry about.
leave it with the builder to sort out as it might be a technicality of something.

with regards to the price rise, even though they do have the right to pass on a price rise to you, there's no guarantee they will as its purely up to the builder. i'd consider asking them, explain the situation and see if you can get an answer from them in writing.

i work for a building company, and while we do from time to time pass on a price rise to clients falling out of the 90 days, the only reason in which we will ever do so is if they have held us up in some way. if exceeding the 90 days is because of us (the builder) or due to a reason which isn't the clients fault, we won't do it.

hope this helps

Jay
Hi mr jas

Welcome to Aubin Grove!! And the world of building where you will experience a world of delays, frustrations, excitement and celebrations.

What you are experiencing is nothing out of the ordinary, there are so many reasons why it may have been held up at the council, even if you worked your plan within the requirements (trust me I know!!!!)

Hope it gets sorted out for you really soon
Quote:
Welcome to Aubin Grove!! And the world of building where you will experience a world of delays, frustrations, excitement and celebrations.

Ohhh yaay!

How is the progress going Jas?

Im building in Aubin Grove when the titles get the go ahead...
Hopefully they dont hold anything up or i will be in the same situation!
Related
15/08/2023
Garage Driveway Coverage

General Discussion

It looks like Blacktown council allows up to a 6.0m wide driveway so just ask your builder to change the plans. If you are just in the planning stage then there is no…

20/04/2024
Gas Abolishment - Brisbane city council

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice, I will reach out to ombudsman

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum