Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

OMFG! Home Insurance Premium 50% Increase

Page 1 of 1
H1-ers

Just got a lovely xmas present from my insurance company...my $620 premium has gone to $970...
Merry Fracking Christmas...
...no change in coverage conditions or increase in contents beyond CPI...straw poll at work suggests that other people have had their premiums go up similarly...apparently due to the fires, GFC, and whatever the freakin' hell else they can blame etc...

Anyone else have a similar increase...
I'll do the old ring around and threaten to leave but I think a 50% increase is a bit rich!....

And here's another
emoticon for good measure.

Cheers, Mike
You pulled out the OMFG.... and multiple
This is serious.....

I've been shopping around for the new house..... the variation is quite.
But nowhere that cost to be honest... I was expecting a premium due to us being so close to where the fires went through.

Are you planning on naming and shaming?

Sorry... felt the need to up the emoticons to keep up...
Hi there,

Yes most have increased but that does seem a lot. I thought the figure was around 20%.

You'd better shop around but make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

Harribeka
Ours has just been renewed and we didn't even notice an increase, so it must have been insignificant.
I know it varies a lot depending on location.

We got a decrease in our car insurance when we moved here, apparently it's a lower risk than where we were previously living ....300m away.

Can you contact APRA and have a whinge? They're supposed to regulate insurance companies and so on. If the premium rise is unjustified, surely they can do something. Or maybe they're just another toothless tiger...
Mine went down $200 when I moved but then I went from inner city to barely in the metro
joles
Are you planning on naming and shaming?

NAming and shAmMIng would be beneath me....
lisanne
Mine went down $200 when I moved but then I went from inner city to barely in the metro

Mine went down a bit when we moved here...
kek
Can you contact APRA and have a whinge? They're supposed to regulate insurance companies and so on. If the premium rise is unjustified, surely they can do something. Or maybe they're just another toothless tiger...

For a moment I thought you meant API...
...I'm only 41...I think I may do the old shop and threaten...car insurance is with them as well.
harribeka
I thought the figure was around 20%. You'd better shop around but make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

Oh joy...insurance policy disclaimers...but I know what you mean....
They have a very bad rap when it comes to paying claims...might be a blessing
i work for an insurance company and have noticed that Melb and Sydney have both increased. guessing its the insurance company trying to recope their losses from the QLD floods, Melb fires etc
costs get passed on along the line somewhere
You know what the best thing about Insurance companies is tho... its so bl00dy easy to leave them!! Thankfully

So i'd suggest that if you don't like what you're paying (and i'd hate a giant increase also!!!) then its easy to change to a better deal
Get another quote, ring them and tell them to reduce the increase or you will walk.

If they dont, tell them you will be in touch to cancel when you have organised another provider.
Thanks guys...currently preparing munitions for a quote based assault on the call centre.
If you are going to ring around, I have my insurance through these guys http://www.insurancehouse.com.au it's underwritten by QBE and they are sensational.
hey,

how'd you go with your assault??
Related
19/09/2023
Perth premium builders

Building A New House

You could try Marc homes (Giorgi) and Urbane

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum