Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Installing Light Fittings $$

Page 1 of 1
We are thinking of getting our builder to install our light fittings that we have purchased ourselves. So what should we expect our builder or any electrician to quote us to install:

44 Downlights (12V)
14 Pendants
7 External light fittings
2 Ceiling Fans

I'm not sure how much I should be budgeting for. Do you think the builders sparky might be cheaper because he's not having to put in the battens that comes with the house as standard?

Thanks
Normally you get an allowance of lights for the house say 30No. and for every light over that you pay an additional amount. The same applies to power points.

I think ours were $42 for each additional light over the initial allowance (two-way switch to a light was $44 on top of this)
Above this it cost us $12 for the electrician to install each of our lights
Ceiling fans were $90 to install (and ceiling fan with light $110)
Additional single power points cost us $42 and doubles $49.

I think I have the breakdown of our electrician's costs somewhere if you need any other information

We spent a tonne extra on lighting/power etc (+$5k), the electrician said we went mid-high spec on our house. But in saying that we also have quite a bit of 'future proofing' for external lights (front and rear yards), pool, outdoor BBQ building, etc plus connections to water tank/hstp and 3-phase. So yours might not reach our amount.
Thanks for that poppamatic. We actually have done our electrical plan and added all our extra light points and power points etc. What I'm trying to find out is how muc I should expect to pay just for the installation of the fixtures (all the wiring is already accounted for)

Our builder is charging $28 to install our light fittings & $105 for our ceiling fans.Not sure what the charge is for downlights as the few that we are getting for the alfresco & front verrandah are builder supply/install - $95.
Cheers,
Loretta
buildingadreamhome
Thanks for that poppamatic. We actually have done our electrical plan and added all our extra light points and power points etc. What I'm trying to find out is how muc I should expect to pay just for the installation of the fixtures (all the wiring is already accounted for)

Ooops sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent.

Ours were just $12 to have our light fittings installed (this included all types pendants, downlights etc)

Friends of mine had the following breakdown:
$18 for basic light fitting
$40 for pendant light fitting
$20.95 for fitting of downlight

Hope this is helpful
Thanks Loretta & poppamatic. Fingers crossed my builders electrician with charge about the same!!
Just finished installing a smilar number of light fixtures to my new home:

48 downlights
4 pendants
2 ceiling fans
3 exhaust fans
5 external

and a couple of other things.

The total for the job was $4,200 which included labour (obviously) and guards for the downlights.
Hope that's helped.
16.SFC
Just finished installing a smilar number of light fixtures to my new home:

48 downlights
4 pendants
2 ceiling fans
3 exhaust fans
5 external

and a couple of other things.

The total for the job was $4,200 which included labour (obviously) and guards for the downlights.
Hope that's helped.

does this mean it includes the actual lights and fans or just for the installation costs and wiring cost and labour cost?

My builder said $100+GST per downlight fully installed for me so i have to budget lighting very carefully since they're so deer.
I just got a quote over the phone for $1600 + GST for two days of work to install the fittings. Works out at about $100 + GST an hour for a sparky and his apprentice.

I'll see what my builders electrican quotes and go from there!

Thanks for all the responses
novotel
does this mean it includes the actual lights and fans or just for the installation costs and wiring cost and labour cost?

The quote was just to install fittings the Better Half and I had already purchased, this included the cost of the wiring and a couple of new wall switches.

Though they did supply and install the downlight guards, I think they were $9 each.

Took a sparkie and his off-sider three days to have everything done..
what's a downlight guards?
novotel
what's a downlight guards?

Downlights generate a lot of heat, especially halogens.

Over here in the west, it's compulsory to install guards around the downlight (above the ceiling) this stops dust or blow in insulation from building up around the light and possibly catching fire.

Here's a link that may help explain it better:
http://www.wenhaminsulation.websyte.com ... ulation/7/
Related
25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

29/06/2023
Installing a new shower do l need a plumber

Bathrooms and Laundry

Ask yourself if the insurance company will be aware of the Reno.

6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum