Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Costs for Variations

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
Just a quick question as to how much i might be charged to make a variation (Change tiles from Small Mosaics to a standard white tile in Ensuite).
I am Building with Ster!ing Homes in Adelaide.
How much have you been charged for a change?
I have looked through all of my contract paperwork and can't find am amount listed anywhere.
Thanks for the help
Katherine
We got charged $500 for each post-contract variation.

Certainly pays to get it right the first time
^^ yup. $500 for mine too!
$500! Wow!
Our contract stated $1000 but we laughed so hard they reduced it to $100 per variation. We've made a couple since the contract was signed and our builder has been *very* reasonable charging us $100 for 2 changes

Our tiles, however, were another story. The tiles were selected via a 3rd party and they refused to negotiate, so it's $500 per change.

Pix
Our contract states $50 for any post contract variations - builder told us verbally that they dont always enforce this, its just to stop people chopping and changing their minds umpteen times - we didnt make any post contract variations so didnt get to put this to the test.
Ours is $50/change but we won't be charged.
Mine is $155, it's written on the second page of my selections book
I only get charged if it is make an upgrade. If its just changing colours and styles within their allowance I dont get charge anything.
Nothing. Just the cost of the upgrade, assuming it was one.
Our contract says $1k base fee, plus any cost difference, plus builder's margin.

Pixelated, your 'laughing' skills are so impressive! How and when did you get a chance to laugh at it (and in front of who from the builder's side)?!??! Did you maybe have heaps of time left before your tender would expire (at the time when your contract was prepared), so you could spend plenty of time negotiating the contract ?? If this was even before the final contract, who did you laugh in front of?? tender presenter?? (I can't imagine who else would you be 'exposed to' at that time of the process)
Ours is $1000 as well! Absolutely nuts!! Our SS has been nice enough to allow us to change a couple of light points and add an additional intercom receiver upstairs without having to pay the fee. Phew!!
Guys,

Please clarify me this.

I want to change the placement of the metre box from left hand side(garage wall) to the right hand side(1.2m side) coz, I got only 900m from my garage wall to the fence and there's no sufficient 1m clearance for the meter box(which I was not aware at the time of signing my tender)

Now, my admin says this as "Post Contract Variation" and would be signed at the time of signing my contract.

Do anyone have such experience, do they charge me extra for it apart from the change of side(connection costs $300.00)

Please give me ur experiences.

Alos it looks weird the term "POST CONTRACT VARIATION" before signing the contract....
In my opinion that shouldn't cost you anything DIVYA, because H3nley changed our meter box as a post contract variation. It was their idea. Still not exactly sure why they did it, but we didn't mind. Makes more sense for them to put it where they have now that I look at it (on the wall of the garage, rather than the wall of our master bedroom).

If they try to charge you, tell them you know other H3nley ppl who have had it changed for free and push for it.
Thanks Felistopher,

I was really worried should they charge me hundreds and hundreds of dollors.
Now, I'm clear and can make it done of no cost(Still I gotta pay for the connection for an other 10meters).
Quote:
I want to change the placement of the metre box from left hand side(garage wall) to the right hand side(1.2m side) coz, I got only 900m from my garage wall to the fence and there's no sufficient 1m clearance for the meter box(which I was not aware at the time of signing my tender

If its not in a legal postion, they can't charge you to move it. But if they only allow 10 meters, then yes they can charge you for this, I was ripped off $831 for 11 meters of extra distance of electrical.
Can you leave it where it is?
Ours is $1000, not negotiable.
I'm yet to find out what my builder charges for variations, I want my daughter's room to be painted a different colour now so am awaiting on the quote. I'm not game to paint it myself
$200. I managed to get out of it a few times, but not others.
Loulabelle
I'm yet to find out what my builder charges for variations, I want my daughter's room to be painted a different colour now so am awaiting on the quote. I'm not game to paint it myself

Find out when the painter is coming, ask your supervisor if you can speak to them.
If you provide the new paint for the room then there's no reason for them to charge you anything extra.

But then again it really depends on your builder.
Related
23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum