Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

colourbond fencing

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I hope some one can give me some advise.

My husband does handyman work and he wants to get involved with doing colourbond fencing. We found a good supplier and they are charging us $71.00 per panel .

Our first quote was to a good friend and we did not charge much . Total cost was $3600.00 for 37 metre fence.
She came back to us and said that we overcharged her by nearly $1000.00 . We were so freaked out and also embarrassed.

How can some fencing contractors charge so little ? Is there a trick in pricing or are they using materials made in china instead of the BHP products.

Can some one give us an idea on how to quote or where to get our materials from ? We live in Sydney .

Hope some one can help.
Stratco from memory are fairly good.

Fencing can be cut throat - there is not much margin in it. That being said $1000 out seems strange
I don't know but wouldn't fencing contractors be buying in bulk and getting special prices? If you only bought enough for one job and didn't mention it was a business purchase...? I'm just guessing?
I think she is referring to the fact that Stratco advertises in the mail and on those ads it says the price for colorbond in $70 somthing dollars "installed" per metre.

Now I'm sure there are addtional costs when they actually have somone go to install such as extra cost for getting around trees, post holes, caps, and such.
It's not shown like that on their current advertised prices on their website, but I know I have seen that price before.

Greg
Some fencers make the price up with things like clearing the site, dismantling the old fence, tip fees, clearing up the off-cuts from material and so on. Seems an easy way to increase the job cost by a few dollars. I learnt that by pricing a few fencing jobs in previous years.

Dirk
dirkadirk
Some fencers make the price up with things like clearing the site, dismantling the old fence, tip fees, clearing up the off-cuts from material and so on. Seems an easy way to increase the job cost by a few dollars. I learnt that by pricing a few fencing jobs in previous years.

Dirk

Hi there,

Thanks for your message.
- Were you a contractor in Sydney and if so, did you find it very difficult to get work in the fencing trade.?
- Where did you purchase your fencing panels from?
- Do you recommend others to take up this work.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Peter and Grace
Quote:
I think she is referring to the fact that Stratco advertises in the mail and on those ads it says the price for colorbond in $70 somthing dollars "installed" per metre.
I believe she really did get a quote for $2600. I need 55 meters and my cheapest quote was $3600, and in Adelaide the panels are $98 each, so your price is too high. With 37 meters, each panel is 2.3m, so the materials cost 16 panels x $71 = $1136, lets add $500 for concrete. You are charging labour at $2000. Lets say it takes 20 hours to erect, which it dosn't. You are charging $100 an hour, does that sound reasonable to you?
Related
22/05/2023
How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Outdoor Living

Yes i guess this is one of the main reason as i checked one post foundation

22/03/2024
Rendered brick wall to colourbond roof over flashing

General Discussion

Cheers. The painted render is a bit chalky to the touch. To prepare the surface for best adhesion, what would you recommend? Also, given that there must be some…

25/09/2023
Invisible Channel Fix Glass Fencing

Pools & Spas

Need to remove glass panel out of concrete without wrecking the glass to get the spa room in, any recommendations on how to do that. Thank you

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum