Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

my electrical plan

Page 1 of 1
THis is my electrical plan as it currently stands. I'm going to move the phone point from the master to the home theatre, and in the kitchen, the plug that was being used for the UBO, move that up to the wall oven stack (for the microwave).
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for anything else we might need?
http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad33 ... trical.jpg
thanks, Karen
Its not very clear. can U darken it and repost it?
Will 4 LV downlights in the theatre room be enough? I guess it depends on whether you will be using the room for any other purpose and also, the size of the room.
is this better?
XLNT - OK team, lets go!!!!
Put another double in Bedtrooms 2 and 3.

I would also put in some more outside GPO's for tank pumps, garden lights etc etc
It's not clear to me where the points are in the kitchen? I can see on for the fridge, DW and rangehood. How many do you have in the kitchen?
When I was growing up I had three double power points in my bedroom, and that was barely enough. One behind the bed for lights and clock/radio, one for desk, and one for whatever else needs power (eg vacuum cleaners). So we have 3 doubles in each bedroom in our new house.

Does your council require a rainwater tank with a pump (requiring power and also pipes)?
thanks for the ideas!
There are 2 powerpoints in the kitchen - 1 beside the pantry and 1 on the island bench (at the end closest to the living area).
We don't have any requirements for tanks outside so we should be able to get away with only putting another 1 double pp outside somewhere.
hi,
maybe add a two way switch for the dining& living lights on the right wall of the fridge, then when those using minor bedrooms went to bed they could turn off the light there.

For the hallway light outside ldry, change the light switch to 2-way too. Instead of locating it on the present spot, locate them at the right wall of the fridge ( as 1st para) and the other at the wall between bed 3 & 4. So when guests came from the living area or ppl in the minor bedrooms wish to use the WC ( articularly at night), it would be handy.

For the bathrm, seems the light switch is in the middle of the room, can that be moved to the wall beside the shower ( however, it seems the space is really tight) Or maybe consider changing the bathrm door to a sliding one, then the switch can be shifted a bit forward to the door.
You need to think about where every tv, phone, light, lamp, alarm clock, mobile phone charge, kitchen appliances, bathroom stuff will all be going, inside and out!

Bed 2,3,4 need more power points (GPO) - do you want a tv in there too?
Alfresco needs some more GPOs, up high for say a bug zapper and then down low for other things
Kitchen - GPOs on the bench and either side of the stove cooktop
Ensuite - do you want a GPO on either side of the basin, kind of like a his n hers espec if you both have elctric tooth brushes and then need a hair dryer/shaver etc plugged in
Master Suite - again at least one GPO on each side of the bed and then a tv and antenna point?
Garage - put more GPOs all over the place - spare fridge/freezer/electrical tools/etc
home theatre - lots of GPO's and tv antenna point
Outside - lights! Do you want to be able to light up most of your back yard depending on what it's being used for?
Also GPOs for vacuuming and do you use lamps int he living areas? Where are they going to go? Also computers/laptops where do you use them the most but more GPOs there!
I would recommend allowing a power point for every item you can think of and then add an additional double power point.

While there is an upfront cost it is better than continually spending money on extension leads and/or power boards which are ugly and a pain in the proverbial.

Assuming the electrician does a good job this will also ensure that the wiring for the house is adequate for the expected draw.

For us this means every bedroom had 3 double power and for the computer study we have 21 double power points. Our study provision may seem excessive but not as much as one might think. We have a genuine use for over 75% of this and we have allowed expansion and location power points because we do not want extension leads and power boards everywhere.

lisanne has a great list and the advice to place power points for every day things such as vacuuming the house are gold.
Discussion about how many powerpoints is largely irrelevant. Powerpoints are easy to add later and pretty cheap.

What's *far* more significant is how many circuits do you have, what's their loading, and what rooms are they serving ?

Getting two extra points in each room is irrelevant if your circuit trips every time you plug something in.

Ask for a floorplan which shows individual cicuits and the amp ratings.
Wouldnt the electrician know that if you request extra powerpoints then they need to allow for that? (Sorry, dont know what terms to put that sentences into as I have no idea..)

I'm just worried because I have 3 powerpoints in each bedroom to allow for lamps, computers, TV's etc for when my kids are older and want their own space. Didnt know I needed to ask about circuts and the electrics are now in.
even tho I'm on holiday..

turn the phone points into "data" points and them centrally terminate them so then you can patch what ever "service" ie telephone or networked device to where ever.. also behind tvs in main areas at least 2 "data" sockets and at least one in each bedroom
EKT
Wouldnt the electrician know that if you request extra powerpoints then they need to allow for that?

Absolutely not. Most wouldn't even think to consider it. But most of the time this won't be a problem. The sadness will come if you attempt to plug in too many high wattage devices on the same circuit such as heaters and microwaves.

Just ask them to indicate the circuits, this shouldn't be a big deal.
Related
20/07/2023
Electrical

General Discussion

Must be labour only. One of those how long is a piece of wire questions.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum