Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Neighbours... Neighbours.... OMG

Page 1 of 1
Hi! My neighbour just built their driveway last Friday. In doing that, they've been unmindful of the fact that they "dirtied" my driveway with those cement residues, even made splats on my timber fence
I was hoping they'll do a clean up but until now, they haven't touch a thing!!! Even the terrible rain and wind we had last night was not able to clear off the debris and soil dirts. They cleaned their portion, but left mine.

Are these debris permanent? The residues are awfully white on my concrete bluestone agregate?
Since we're neighbours, I do hope to approach the situation calmly. I am not happy anymore. Has anyone encountered such rudeness and how did you resolve it??

Please help cheer me up....

Hannah
perhaps asked for the number of their concretor and tell them you want to contact them. Any normal person will then say perhaps I should call them up, and then you say ok.,

Ok perhaps it will not be that easy.
Hi, just learned that it was a DIY job!!! Its my neighbour and his mates!!! Actually, they saw me standing and looking at my driveway. Guess what? They all went inside the house!!! Hmmmm...

Hannah
If you want to still keep the peace with your neighbour, just knock on the door and ask them what they used to get the extra stuff off their side. This will let them know that you have seen the mess they have made and they may even offer to clean it for you. Worst case, they will at least tell you how to get it off your drive way!
I would approach them with a basket of cookies to welcome them to the neighbourhood and ask them nicely to clean up my driveway.

Back to where I come from, there is a saying "Choose your neighbours before you choose your house". So your neighbours will be there forever and so do you. You don't want such a silly incident to mess up the air between you and your neighbours

Just my 2 cents ..
Hmmm... Lumps will come off with a soft broom, residue will come off with a light acid (10/1)
Mmm.. and my nearest neighbour are not well liked around here either

Glad they are out of view and earshot (200mtrs away).
onc
I'd take the direct approach, noting that if anything, their lack of attention and selfishness have soured the relationship not you asking for their mess to be cleaned up. I'd knock on the door, congratulate them on the new driveway then discuss the stuff they've left on your property and put it back on them to rectify it. Any decent neighbour (especially when caught out), you think, would have some remorse and make amends...well..you would think they would. If they don't, then it's a reflection of the type of neighbours you have. I find the direct approach works in changing peoples behaviour and attitude - might make them think twice next time. ....anyway, my 2cents worth. Good luck.
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

3/12/2023
Neighbours rights to house access during reno

General Discussion

The only thing to add to these comments is that where possible it's always good to try and work with people than just say "no" because you can. Having someone…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum