Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Draftsmanship work

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
Just a quick question - I've had a search through the forums and couldn't find specific info on this so apologies if this is a dumb question!

We have just asked a builder/draftsman to draw up some plans for a renovation/extension on our house. We're adding a couple of bedrooms, a 2nd living area, and an ensuite.

We've been quoted just under $6k which includes plans for the existing site, liaising with council to ensure plans are compliant, and then a quote (time/cost) for the work.

Is this about right?

thx
We're paying that for our entire house - 35ish squares or something, and basically just what your getting too
I would imagine that price would include engineers drawings, 5 star energy, plans and permits.
Thanks for the feedback. I just want to make sure we're not getting ripped off!
The quote does include 2/3 revisions, elevations, specs for finishes, and a qualified cost for going ahead with building the plans
For our plans of a whole house it cost us $1350 which included everything needed to apply for permits (except energy rating) and the builder can also build off them. Now we are in the process of getting a energy rating report done which is costing $165. So all in total it costs us $1515. But I'm not sure if a extention involves more or somethings different.
When we were getting quotes from draftsmen, we had some say that it would cost as high as $8000 pftt i don't think so!
So I would recommend hunting around and see what other draftsmen say.
Unless this renovation is extremely complicated and requires major documentation to explain the intent, I reckon its pretty expensive.
The other thing is, if he's a builder/draftsman..who owns the drawings when their done?
Surely your going to tender your reno to a number of builders to get a competitive price?, will he release the drawings to you to do this??
Just a thought,
Pat.
It is definitely sounding like it's up the 'expensive' end
Good point Pat - I'll ask about ownership

thanks all for your input
Minx
I would imagine that price would include engineers drawings, 5 star energy, plans and permits.

Mine doesnt include 5 star or engineering
Bam
Minx

Mine doesnt include 5 star or engineering
/quote]

Wow. 5 star is cheap but engineers def are not!
Did you get them done by a draftsman or an architect?
He is a building designer/interior designer/project planner.... He designed all the houses in the
old coburg jail
What do you need a structual engineer for? Are you building on a slab?
^ Me?

We're building on stumps. And our alfresco is square two sets of bifold doors without a support between them, so Im assuming we will need a beam of some sort, which is why we need engineering? I dont know, cant say ive looked in to it yet...
Focus06

A structual engineer is required for all new builds.

Who does the bracing plan for the structure? Drafty doesn't do this.
Without a engineers report no builder can build a house.
What about lintels that have opening that bear girder trusses?

Who guarantees the structual integrity of your house? Not the draftsman!
Minx
Focus06

A structual engineer is required for all new builds.

Who does the bracing plan for the structure? Drafty doesn't do this.
Without a engineers report no builder can build a house.
What about lintels that have opening that bear girder trusses?

Who guarantees the structual integrity of your house? Not the draftsman!

Well said Minx,
I for one will not gaurentee or even acknowledge anything structural on a build....'to structural engineers drawings and specifications' everytime. Be wary of builders and drafties...or anyone else for that matter, who say you dont need an engineer.
Please be aware people...a reno or new build is a huge financial and emotional undertaking...dont skimp on the basics (and structural engineering is a 'very necessary' basic). The initial outlay is minimal in comparison to the price of the build...the cost far outweighs the possible rectification cost needed if your build starts to sink/fall apart/fall down etc etc.
Just a thought,
Pat.
Hi there,
It depends what it includes really. If he is going to draw up the existing and proposed plans and elevations then also submit them to Council for the DA then its not bad. However if you are doing a full DA you will also need the CC submitted to Council or Private Certifier. Also depending on the detail in the drawings its hard to get an accurate quote which could leave you open to lots of variations from the builder. Good luck though.
Our council stated that you only need a structual engineer to process permits if you have structual differences that are outside the standard building regulations.
So who knows......
Related
12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

16/04/2024
Brick work cracks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

could be the footing or being hard up against the other wall with no expansion joint or both. You could try again with brick mesh and use some sticky back foam against the…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum