Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

render

Page 1 of 1
hi i am rendering a brick wall (25 sqm) useing boscote acryilc render (permixed just add water) put on one coat with steel float was unhappy/unsure with finish tryed to screed and woden float off but it just took all the render off .i may have dun this too soon any help would be great thanks
You have to use a plastic float with acrylic render, the rest as you have found out just pull it off the wall..

The place that sold you the render should have the tools and should have told you about the problems with acrylic render.
Hi
I have had exactly the same problem.
I have been working on a built in BBQ with raised garden beds on each side.
Looking GREAT..... BUT....
EVERY time I've tried to even out my "Boscote Acrylic Render", it fell away.
Very frustrating!
I also found that some areas along the edges were "Drummy" when dried.
So I had to chip away these areas and refill.
I only did this today, Saturday 18 July.
I am hoping that all is OK tomorrow when it has dried again.
An inexpensive project, using leftover bricks and leftover house paint,
has now become quite an expensive exercise as
I will have to paint with a Texture paint e.g. Dulux Medium Texture (quite expensive as well)
I just hope that the render stays on and doesn't crack.
Have you finished your project?
If not - Good luck with yours
no i have just left it as is for how
all the render is holding on to the wall ok
just need to work out where to go from here
Hello again

My render (THIRD COAT) onto the "fallen off bit" seems to have taken OK.
I was very worried that there would be a "Join" seen between the new and old bit.
But all looks OK at present.

Not "drummy"..... However, still not completely happy with the finish, but it is better.

It is not as smooth as I would have liked.... but I was too scared to try and "Screed"
it smooth because of the "FALL OFF" syndrome.

I decided to leave it longer to dry quite a bit BEFORE using a piece of off cut Pine decking
approximately 90mm x 160mm to lightly "Sand" the new section.

I built up the new infilled part a little thicker than the existing render, then after letting it dry off
for about three quarters of an hour, I "Sanded" the new bit, very lightly, in a small circular motion
working quite carefully and slowly.

The result is MUCH BETTER than the rest of my project.

If I ever had to do it again, I am sure that I could come up with a better result than this one...

Let me know how you go. - Flo

PS. Are we able to attach photos to this website,
if so, I will send pics when my project is Finished.
thanks for your info i will not be doing any thing for about 8-10 weeks as i will be working out of town
lightly dampen bricks etc before applying base coat to prevent flash dry. let base coat set then apply top coat with a square edge render trowel and float of with either a plastic or foam float dependant on type of finish you want
thanks davinci

my trouble is that i am toooo much of a perfectionist

i would like to have a "Smooth" finish the same as my house, not the rough brushed, or swirled look.

all goes on well, it's the "Smoothing" "Levelling" off bit that has caused my problems.

this is when the trouble starts..... i work over it, GENTLY, with the float and the render tends to fall away in some areas.

I have finished it now... it's not how i hoped it would be but i guess it's not too bad.

It looks alright when shaded ... BUT .... When sunlight shines ACROSS it.. it looks worse

when painted it should look OK
Hi all,

Just wondering how much per sqm you have to pay if you ask a tradesman to do? One of my friends told me $20-25/sqm (without painting). That sounds pretty good. Don't you think so?

R
Hi there
My job was about 25square metres or so
that would work out about $625
and that would have been toooooo much for me
That's why I tried the DIY
I have not painted my project as yet, and I'm pretty sure it will look good when finished,
however, it was not without frustrating moments.
I really didn't think it would be as troublesome as it was.
It goes on so easily, spreads so easily, it's just the finishing that's causes the problems.
If you want a "Rough" texture "NO Worries"
easy peasy...... but I wanted it smooth.... didn't I......
Related
8/05/2023
Acrylic render: Dulux or ROCKCOTE

General Discussion

Hi Alex, Thanks for the reply again. I had a chat with the builder, he said he will use primer, then hydrotec which comes with colour and sealer as well. A Renderer I…

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

4/10/2023
Mending cracks in render

General Discussion

Do you have a scope of works? If have texture on wall now, the patch will show through The standard for repair of texture is to patch, re-texture corner to corner,…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum