Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Stumps or Slab?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what's better to build a house on Stumps or slab. Me and my fiance are looking at building a single story house???? What would you recommend?

thanks
I guess it would partially depend on the ground. If it is stable and isn't likely to move much I would go for a slab. Our house is on stumps because the land around here tends to have a bit of movement in it.
RitJay, the reasons for using one system against another are numerous including designing for maximising on solar heat gain, the slope of the land, whether you are looking to include timber decked verandahs etc. Possibly the most important aspect is the 'style' of the home and whether it is suited to being 'in the ground' as with a slab or whether it will be presented better raised on stumps..
All new homes are required to have a soil test [geotechnical report] as part of the building application and the correct founding depth of the foundations whether slab or stumps will be designed according to the results to ensure the chosen system functions correctly on your particular site..
also worth checking with local council

mine decreed my project is on a 1/100 flood site and therfore must be raised to allow for drainage...i had originally wanted a slab but may not have that option anymore

pylons and wood decking which i would then tile is a cost effective and attractive solution for me
Related
15/12/2023
Fill & Slab vs. Tall stumps

Building A New House

If you're in a flood zone, not only are you dealing with the importation of fill and laying it down in 150 lifts to achieve compaction, you're going to have to consider…

4/03/2024
Steel stumps, S vs H2, house movement

General Discussion

Are they stumps or screw piles ? How much fill is there, is the site a class "P" ? A "H2" site is not supposed to have stumps it is supposed to have grid beams according…

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum