Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Probably a silly question - but what are face bricks??

Page 1 of 1
Just reading through the standard inclusions listed from my builder and I noticed it says "Face bricks from extensive builders range"
Are these different...or is this just another way of saying "choice of colour"??

I've never seen it written this way before.

Thanks
Lorree
Yes, that's right. It just means you will be using bricks as opposed to covering them with render.
Thanks Southies....
You beat me before I edited it lol I thought what I had written before sounded a tad 'blonde' lol

I was hoping to render a part of the front, will this prevent me?
Eljay

Sorry Eljay, I don't understand
For what it's worth here's my contribution...

Face bricks are all the bricks you will actually *see* versus those you would not such as 'commons' (often used in place of face bricks under render because they are cheaper).

In the days of Federation house building, R.O.K or 'run of kiln' bricks would be used on the *sides* of such houses whereas the front would be finished in face bricks.

Pix
Southies
Eljay

Sorry Eljay, I don't understand

Southies, sorry I'm not explaining myself properly. But I think Pixelated cleared my foggy brain.
When you said you will have bricks instead of render, I thought for a brief moment that with these type of bricks I couldn't have rendered...which I want.
But if they are not anything special I won't worry about it lol

Think I'll delete this one, its making me look blonder than I really am
You can render face bricks if you wish, you can render any type of brick actually.

I found these definitions for face brick on the web;
Brick made especially for exterior use with special consideration of color, texture and size, and used as a facing on a building.
A finished, non-defective brick yielding good appearance and construction quality.

Your builder will use a different type of brick for walls you are going to render, but I think this is just a price issue, rather than any type of brick being more or less suited to rendering.
Thanks 16.SFC much appreciated

I'll talk to the builder about it when I'm next talking to him.
Thats clarified it a lot of me

Ta
Lorree
Eljay
Thanks 16.SFC much appreciated

I'll talk to the builder about it when I'm next talking to him.
Thats clarified it a lot of me

Ta
Lorree

Eljay...love your avatar..I've have been owned by 4 Boxer's to date..currently we are owned by a Griffon
Hey Kevin

Aren't they the best!

I'd be lost without one. My mum and I use to breed them about 15 years ago.
Once I get my house all set up and I can close off the tiled areas, I might have to look into starting up again

Lorree
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZIYgGjCJ7W4/ScCxuUuWGpI/AAAAAAAABNg/F_e-bpZkvE4/s1600-h/100_3580.JPG

if you have a look there you will see part of our front of ou house. the Lighter bricks around the windows are face bricks and the redder bricks in the back are our face brick

feel free to have a look at our blog you will see the render as well
Eljay
Hey Kevin

Aren't they the best!

I'd be lost without one. My mum and I use to breed them about 15 years ago.
Once I get my house all set up and I can close off the tiled areas, I might have to look into starting up again

Lorree

Have to aggree with you there.
They loved to rip our washing of the line for some reason...and steal lollies from my wifes handbag
But love them all the same
I've had my heart broken many times as they have passed on

This was our little man that recently passed on.. he had an enlarged heart
We called him "Teabag" or "Mr T" for short
He was a Griffon simular looking to our boxers we used to have
Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

9/10/2023
No Interim Occupation Certificate - NSW but moved in

General Discussion

Hi Simeon, Thank you for laying it down for us. Makes sense. Appreciate it very much. Have a nice day. Cheers

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum