Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Do plasterers always do a wet skim coat here?

Page 1 of 1
I noticed that our on-line update with Burbank states that the plastering is finished. However, when I looked on site, there has been no skim coat. The boards are smooth, the joints have been plastered over and sanded flat and the cornices are all fitted and look neat, however, in the UK you would always have a wet skim coat over the top.

Could it be that they have used boards that don't require a skim? Is there such a thing? Or maybe they have incorrectly updated the website and there is still a skim coat to do?

Cheers.
There is no skim coat needed. Plastering in Aus is a different process to the UK. Board is skimmed but only over any joins. So it seems to me that your plastering is indeed finished.
What level finish does your contract cover?

Sometimes it is detailed in the specifications, but as a rule Level 4 finish is what most builders will provide.. Level 5 is the skim coat level.... Ka Ching....
Thanks for the responses. I'm happy enough with no skim, as long as the boards are designed for that. If you left UK boards unskimmed you'd soon be punching holes thorugh them with every knock and the finish for painting would not be adequate.

It was more to know how far a long prgress-wise we are, obvioulsy waiting for the whole house to be skimmed would mean we have longer to wait than we thought.

We should be 8 to 10 weeks away from handover!!!! COME ON.......(I'm a bit excited by the idea of moving in).
Tony & Emma
Thanks for the responses. I'm happy enough with no skim, as long as the boards are designed for that. If you left UK boards unskimmed you'd soon be punching holes thorugh them with every knock and the finish for painting would not be adequate.

It was more to know how far a long prgress-wise we are, obvioulsy waiting for the whole house to be skimmed would mean we have longer to wait than we thought.

We should be 8 to 10 weeks away from handover!!!! COME ON.......(I'm a bit excited by the idea of moving in).

Should you wish to know all about plastering in Oz vs plastering in the UK, contact Robert Cowan through the website you subscribe to as Techno Freak.

JB
Related
18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum